We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown Seattle Ride Free Zone ends Sat, Sept 29th

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,527 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown Seattle Ride Free Zone ends Sat, Sept 29th

Just a friendly reminder that the transit ride free zone ends this Saturday. You must pay on entry for buses, trains, streetcars in the transit tunnel or on surface streets. More info from King County Metro: …kingcounty.gov/tops/…changes.html

The Orca card (e- purse option) is the only way to transfer between the various transit agencies without paying each one (for a 2 hour window from the 1st time you tap your card on the card reader). The different transit agencies no longer honor each others' paper transfers. www.orcacard.com/ERG-Seattle/p3_001.do?m=3

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Downtown Seattle Ride Free Zone ends Sat, Sept 29th

It is an added expense for tourists not to have a single day or multi pass option without shelling out a fiver for an Orca pass...no question about it. A family of 4 visiting using only public transit will get dinged. That said I have a wad of similar passes for my global travels - so don't really mind when I reuse these every visit. In London you can get a refund on your Oyster card at Heathrow which is thoughtful for 1 time visitors. Will the Orca card be refundable for tourists as well? For a family of 4 that is a $20.00. If not then little thought has gone into impact on tourism...maybe it's just a cash grab from tourists - mostly Canadians? Just calling it the way I see it...

Spending a week in Seattle in early November with friends - so following this forum for a bit.

Edited: 2:05 am, October 10, 2012
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,165 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Downtown Seattle Ride Free Zone ends Sat, Sept 29th

It's purely financial Portland also ended there free ride zone

I've yet to see any Canadian cities with the free bus zone

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Downtown Seattle Ride Free Zone ends Sat, Sept 29th

Like i said i have zero problem with ending the free zone, but every city i have been to this year SF,Portland, Ottawa, and here in Van has a flat rate day/multi day pass, with the exception of Seattle, thats what i have a hard time with

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Downtown Seattle Ride Free Zone ends Sat, Sept 29th

Washington's public services of all kinds are hitting the wall, as we have no local income tax. We only have sales tax, and people haven't been spending much money for the past five years. Our state parks are also on the verge of being closed down, and our college tuition has increased obscenely. So it isn't as much of a cash grab as it is a stopping of a cash gift -- a free ride. I suppose a pass will be in the works soon, as tourism is indeed very important here.

If you'd like to send a note telling them of your thoughts, here's the contact info. I'm sure a letter from an actual tourist would have more impact than one from a local.

Seattle City Council

PO Box 34025

Seattle, WA 98124-4025

council@seattle.gov

15. Re: Downtown Seattle Ride Free Zone ends Sat, Sept 29th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, December 14, 2013