We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to kill a few hours in Seattle?

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
40 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
How to kill a few hours in Seattle?

Hi,

My husband and I are flying in/out of Seattle, but staying in Vancouver then Whistler. On Monday (next week), we'll drive back from Whistler to catch our plane which leaves at 7:30 pm. I know we want to have lunch in the Space Needle, but thought we ought to have time for 1 more attraction or a stroll through shops or something. Not sure how long we should plan for the drive back and how to time everything. Would love some suggested itineraries for that day. Have thought about seeing the REI store, since hubby can visit our small one daily... Is it worth seeing? Is there anything in the airport area that'd put us closer and reduce the risk of traffic, etc on our drive in? I am typically one to cut it close because I want to fill up every possible moment with something interesting, not sitting in the airport, but I don't want to miss our flight, either! Thanks for your thoughts.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
40 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to kill a few hours in Seattle?

I forgot to mention that we've never been to Seattle so everything is brand new to us! (The music museum doesn't really appeal to us, but we're open to about everything else.)

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to kill a few hours in Seattle?

travelingWise: I'd nixsay the lunch at the Space Needle; too many people think it's expensive and the food isn't so great. Instead, why don't you take a stroll through Pike Place Market; several restaurants there and lots of diferent booths selling fish, flowers, vegetables, etc.

If you really want to see the area from high up, there is an observation area in Columbia Center (between 4th and 5th Avenues at Columbia St.) downtown. It's open Monday-Friday 8:30-4:00 and tickets are $5.00 adults, $3.00 children and seniors.

I have never been in the mew REI store, but have driven past it many, many times. There's a rock wall for climbing; you can see a photo here:

http://www.rei.com/stores/seattle/

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,926 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to kill a few hours in Seattle?

You could do the REI store, Pike Place Market (have lunch there), and Pioneer Square historic district... then head to the airport.

I'd also skip the Space Needle, well I might stsop there & go up it for the view if the weather is clear, but the continue on and have lunch elsewhere.

Normally the drive downtown to the airport is about 25 mins. But since you will be driving at rush hour (5:30-ish I assume). I'd probably allow a full hour to be safe.

Snoqualmie, WA
Level Contributor
237 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to kill a few hours in Seattle?

I too vote for lunch in the market somewhere (if the weather is nice)...then a visit to REI. It's a great store!!

As far as travel from Whistler, we've done it many many times and at best 4 1/2 hours "flying" with no stops, and at worst 7 hours. Really depends on traffic along I-5, the border crossing, and of course the road construction in Canada for the 2010 Olympics.

Be sure use the Blaine border crossing to save yourselves some time.(vs. going thru Vancouver/Peace Arch).

Don't forgot those passports, or birth certificats with drivers license.

Happy Travels!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,666 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to kill a few hours in Seattle?

Elders advice is good, use the truck crossing vs peace arch. Listen to station 1130 am in Vancouver for border reports every 9 minutes.

The airport in Seattle has a new area called Pacific Marketplace. There are rests and shops which charge the same price as if they were not in the airport making it a popular dinner place. There is an Elliotts restaurant among others so don't ignore the airport as a dinner local. If you go to the market you could also visit Southcenter mall in Tukwila. Not a major tourist attraction but good shopping to kill some time and its very close to the airport.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to kill a few hours in Seattle?

We often take visitors to the Seattle REI. It is one of a kind store with the climbing rock, mountain bike test trail - gear galore. There is now a fee to climb, but most think it's worth it and the view from the top of the rock is tres-cool!

Note also that there is a World Wrapps on the 2nd floor (smoothies, wraps, rice bowls) if you are hungry, sit out on the deck and enjoy the view. Also an espresso stand (natch!) on the 1st floor.

There is a carpool lane on I-5 south which should help you dash to the airport, although with Seattle traffic, you never quite know.