We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental seattle good deals, local tips

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
110 posts
75 reviews
37 helpful votes
car rental seattle good deals, local tips

We are shocked at the price of renting a car from Aug. 2 - 12 from the airport. Any ideas? I've heard there are hotels nearby that are less expensive to rent from. Anyone know about this? We are staying with friends so don't need a hotel. Thanks for your help.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
5 helpful votes
1. Re: car rental seattle good deals, local tips

you dont rent cars at the airport, rent them downtown or elsewhere.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
20,968 posts
115 reviews
235 helpful votes
2. Re: car rental seattle good deals, local tips

just go to a site such at Hotwire.com and compare seatac vs seattle to see if you can save some $$. Since the airport car rental facility opened there is a daily fee plus more tax. If you compare Seattle city vs Seatac you will see the difference.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
110 posts
75 reviews
37 helpful votes
3. Re: car rental seattle good deals, local tips

Thanks for replying. We are checking outside of airport as well since that's the best deal whenever you travel. Our problem is we have a 6 am return flight and many of the off-airport places do not open at that hour- especially on a Sunday. Does anyone know of an agency that will allow us to drop off at the airport without an extra fee if we picked up away from the airport?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
61,034 posts
66 reviews
149 helpful votes
4. Re: car rental seattle good deals, local tips

As I've recently discovered, Enterprise has very good rates out of their downtown offices. If you have an Entertainment card it's an additional 10% off. However, they'll hit you for $150 on a Seatac return.

Can you return the car the night before and take a taxi from your friends house to the airport?

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
920 reviews
332 helpful votes
5. Re: car rental seattle good deals, local tips

We are coming to Seattle Aug.25 to visit Daughter and son-in-law. We are going to rent a car from Aug.27-Sept.1....considered a week and rent it downtown.

AAA & Avis have come in at about $225 for the week.

As far as returning a car on a Sunday.......why don't you consider returning the car on Saturday.....and either taking the air train to Seatac or arranging a taxi.

Hope this helps.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
110 posts
75 reviews
37 helpful votes
6. Re: car rental seattle good deals, local tips

Thanks for suggesting the air train. We are trying to figure if the taxi fare to downtown and again to airport is not outweighed by the extra cost to rent from the airport. Enterprise is $284 for 10 days, but none are open on Sundays. We will look up where airtrain goes.

Our friends are on Bainbridge Island so it's about a $64 price tag from there, not including tip and IF you can get a cab to go that distance - let alone feeling a cab is reliable at 4 am on a Sunday. Argggh.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
8,211 posts
8 reviews
15 helpful votes
7. Re: car rental seattle good deals, local tips

Why not drop the rental car the night before your departure and stay the night near the airport instead? Airport hotel price ranges run the gamut with many budget accommodations available.

I like to overnight near the airport for early morning flights and I live here.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
110 posts
75 reviews
37 helpful votes
8. Re: car rental seattle good deals, local tips

Wow, sodomojo, we were just talking about that. You are a psychic!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
110 posts
75 reviews
37 helpful votes
9. Re: car rental seattle good deals, local tips

Can you suggest a reasonably priced hotel near airport?

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
20,968 posts
115 reviews
235 helpful votes
10. Re: car rental seattle good deals, local tips

the light rail is called Link, not sure where the 'airtrain' came from. I've rented from Enterprise and they have given me the option to return to seatac so I'm surprised they would charge more for that.

For airport hotel I'd feel super comfortable using Hotwire.com and selecting a 3 or 4 star accomodation. They all do shuttles so its a safe bet you'd get a better hotel than a cheap no tell motell rm.