We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From sea-tac to pike place market

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fairbanks, Alaska
13 posts
Save Topic
From sea-tac to pike place market

I am going to have a long layover in Seatlle. I get in at 10 am and dont leave sea-tac again untill 9:40. I would really like to spend that time in between at Pike Place Market. Are there buses that run from the Airport to there, or do I have to pay for a taxi. I am traveling alone, and just have my carry on baggage, nothing to check. And plan on checkin into my departing flight before I leave the airport in the morning. Suggestions, tips, advice would be greatly appriciated!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From sea-tac to pike place market

You can take Link light rain, taxi or town car into downtown Seattle from Seatac airport. Please see the 'top question' on the upper right-hand side of this page 'How do you get into downtown from Seatac airport?' tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60878-s301/Seattle:W…

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From sea-tac to pike place market

You don't need to spend that much time at the market, though. If you get there at about 11:15, have a leisurely lunch and perhaps take a tour, you'll still be done by 3 or 4 which is when everything starts to close anyway.

You should leave town on the light rail by about 7 to get back to the airport, so you have three or four hours to do something else.

I think you are almost the only "long layover" passenger who has actually had enough time to go to town!

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,895 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From sea-tac to pike place market

It's really easy to get downtown on the new Lightrail, takes 40 mins. Goes right from the airport to the center of downtown (just a few blocks from the Pike Place Market). But how large is your carry-on bag? That might be a bit much to carry/wheel that around the city with you all day. -suze

Fairbanks, Alaska
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From sea-tac to pike place market

Thank you for all the relpies! they will be very helpful. Is the lightrail easy to find from the airport and does it do straight to Pike Place Market or do I need to get off at a certain place and walk a few blocks? All the Luggage I am bringing on this trip is a carryon rolly rectangle bag, the size that I can bring on and fit into the overhead. but it has wheels and a handle, for wheeling around everywhere. Then a large purse that doubles as a day bag. What else could I do in the area after Pikes place and still get back to the airport by around 8 or so?

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,661 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From sea-tac to pike place market

Hi

you most likely won't be able to check your luggage that early as most airlines only allow it 4-6 hrs prior to your flight. Downstairs in baggage claim is Kens Luggage and they will keep your carry on for you. I believe they are near carousel 10 but check. They charge maybe $5.

Take lite rail to Westlake station and you'll follow the signs to 3rd and Pine. The market is on 1st and Pine. Main entrance is on Pike one block to the south. Most corners have 'directional' signs to the market.

Fairbanks, Alaska
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: From sea-tac to pike place market

I dont have any baggage to check just bringing a carry on. but thanks for the tip about a locker in the airport! not sure if I want to roll it all over pike place all day!

Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From sea-tac to pike place market

The light rail between SeaTac & downtown is GREAT!

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,895 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From sea-tac to pike place market

You don't want to roll around even a carry-on bag all over the city. We've got lots of hills, and the Market is full of stairways, etc. I'd really look into the suggestion of using Ken's (there are no lockers at the airport) as suggested.

Yes there is clear signage to find the LightRail station at the airport. You buy a ticket from a machine before getting on the train. Get off at Westlake Center, walk towards the water (west) a few blocks to get to the Market.

Hondo, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From sea-tac to pike place market

Is there anything else to do around Pike Place Market area? There are 10 in our group and we are staying over after a cruise to do some site seeing. Any guided tours? Suggestions for moderatly priced hotels in area? Great places to eat?

Hondo, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From sea-tac to pike place market

Sorry, I know that is a lot to ask.