We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas time in Seattle.

Cottage Grove...
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas time in Seattle.

We are a family of four and will be staying for 5 nights at Christmas in Belltown area. I am trying to decide on say Christmas Eve taking the Argosy ship parade tour vs. just eating out, riding the horse drawn carriage and would love to know of some big beautiful churches in downtown that will have a service that night. We will of course be walking our socks off and enjoying Pike's market etc. If we didn't want to pay for the Argosy tour where can you go and just watch from the shore? thanks

Clipper Vacations
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Ferries, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Puget Sound Tours
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours, Bus Tours
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,439 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas time in Seattle.

here is some info that will cover a lot of your questions

www.downtownholidays.com/Event-Calendar.aspx

Since the xmas ships sail out to the surrounding lakes unless you have a car or can get to some of the beaches not sure you can really see them without going on one of them. Ride the Ducks does a xmas light tour from Westlake Center which is something you may wish to do one evening.

Cottage Grove...
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas time in Seattle.

Much obliged for the links, I will check them out, and will look into the Ducks. Luckily we will have our car and can drive and look at some nice areas with lights as well.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas time in Seattle.

I assume your dates are right near Christmas. In that case, the best night for "on-land" viewing of the the Christmas Ships for you is on December 23, when the ships will be in Seattle - at either West Montlake Park or Gas Works Park. The other dates near Christmas are primarily at Eastside locations, though for the early sailing on December 23, the ships are at Magnuson Park which is on Seattle's North-east side.

There are several interesting churches and faith communities downtown.

Seattle has two beautiful cathedrals. St. James Catholic Cathedral and St. Mark's Episcopal Cathedral. St James Cathedral is right downtown (just east of I-5). Beautiful traditional cathedral, opened in 1907 with a commanding location. We always attend the Christmas eve mass at 5:30pm, which is geared toward families & children with the children's choir providing music. Fr. Michael Ryan officiates, and he never disappoints. The music outstanding, very multicultural and interesting.

http://stjames-cathedral.org/

St. Mark's is located in Capitol Hill. Notable for it's interesting architecture and gold dome. The Cathedral was dedicated in 1931, and has an interesting history. http://www.saintmarks.org/

First Presbyterian Church is also east of I-5 downtown, on 8th & Madison.

http://www.firstpres.org/

First United Methodist Church is another historic congregation, now located next to the Seattle Center, right on Denny Way. The current location was just dedicated in 2010, after moving the location from their historic location on 5th.

http://firstchurchseattle.org/

Plymouth Congregational Church is located at 6th & University.

http://www.plymouthchurchseattle.org/

Here is some information from the 2010 Capitol Hill Blog regarding Christmas services at the many churches in the area which you might find helpful:

capitolhillseattle.com/2010/12/24/christmas-…

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,616 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas time in Seattle.

With you car you could visit Candy Cane Lane in the Ravenna neighborhood: …nwsource.com/mbase/cgi-bin/DisplayPage.pl…

There are also a number of Christmas themed performances:

NW Boyschoir www.nwchoirs.org/events.php

Pacific NW Ballet's Nutcracker www.pnb.org/Season/11-12/Nutcracker/

Black Nativity www.stgpresents.org/artists/?artist=1594

Free or inexpensive events:

Gingerbread Village at Seattle Sheraton http://gingerbreadvillage.myevent.com/

Holiday Carousel ride at Westlake Park/Center

Seattle Center Winterfest - ice skating, carolers, concerts, etc. www.seattlecenter.com/winterfest/

Seattle, Washington
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas time in Seattle.

Palisade Waterfront Restaurant at Elliot Bay Marina will be open:

Christmas Eve – Friday 12/24 from 12:30 pm with our last seating at 8:00 pm.

Christmas Day – Saturday 12/25 from 12:00 noon with our last seating at 8:00 pm. *Santa and Mrs. Clause will be here from 2 pm until 6 pm for your photo opportunity.

Reservations Recommended. (206) 285-1000

www.palisaderestaurant.com

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,439 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas time in Seattle.

here is a good article from the Seattle Times today on xmas things in the NW

…nwsource.com/html/travel/2016828827_trchris…

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas time in Seattle.

If you are not going to be in town on the 21st the next/last cruise with a Seattle stop is the finale on 12/23. If that is the date you have available the lead boat is sold out for that night per the Argosy site. However there may be room on a follow boat.

argosycruises.com/themecruises/xmasSchedule.…

However the good news is that the grand finale cruise ends at Gasworks Park in Fremont, just a bit north of downtown Seattle between 9:45p and 10:15pm. They are expecting around 1000 people and dozens of boats. You can take a cab to the park or you can take the MT 26 from 3rd and Pine downtown to Wallingford Ave and 35th, a couple blocks north of Gasworks. This gives you a chance to get some dinner before hand. Fremont is a lot of fun with some good bars and restaurants, and the Fremont Lenin statue will be lit for the season as well! :-)

The parade finale departs from Kirkland City Dock and stops next at West Montlake Park on Portage Bay so that means the ships will be coming through the Montlake Cut via the Montlake bridge. There may be some really good views from the Sakuma Viewpoint (University of Washington) or Aqua Verde Cafe. The parade will also have to pass under the University Bridge and I-5 and will likely pass Ivar's Salmon House on the north side of Lake Union (Northlake Way) before ending at Gasworks Park.

-K

PS Dress warmly and make sure you have appropriate rain protection.

Cottage Grove...
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas time in Seattle.

Thanks for posting so much info on churches, I know any of these will be wonderful! Happy Holidays!

Cottage Grove...
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas time in Seattle.

We booked a follow boat for the 23 and will definitely dress for chilly rainy weather, as I will need fresh air, I hope to not get motion sick. thanks~

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas time in Seattle.

Great! It is a wonderful tradition. The other night, I counted 30+ ships. The 23rd should be fun. The lake is/has been very flat and calm because our weather has been quite calm. This December has been remarkably dry, but the rain is expected to return for the weekend, more than anything, be prepared for the dampness.