We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle car rental question

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
74 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle car rental question

My wife and I will spend our vacation later this month in Seattle. We arrive 28 July and depart 2 Aug. During this time, our first 2 nights will be spent at Mt. Rainier (Alta Vista) and then at Lake Union (Silver Cloud). We do not want to keep the rental car any longer than we have to.

We will pick up the rental upon arrival at the airport on 28 July and we would like to drop it off on 30 July. Is there a rental company that would allow for a dropoff close to Lake Union so we do not have to go to the airport just to drop off the car? We were looking at AVIS, but I did not see other drop-off options in Seattle.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle car rental question

dont rent at the airport, too expensive. rent and drop off downtown.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
74 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle car rental question

Is there an easy way to get downtown, where the car rentals are, while carrying baggage? Specifically should we take a cab, rail, etc.?

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,967 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle car rental question

I disagree. Since you are heading south to Mt Rainier directly from SeaTac, I think it's worth it to pay the premium to pick up your car at the airport. By the time you take a taxi into downtown ($45) you'd mostly make up for the higher airport rate, besides the hassle and waste of precious vacation time.

Sorry I don't have the name of a specific company to recommend, but I know you can pick up a car at the airport and return downtown, people do it all the time. suze

Overlea, Maryland...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle car rental question

Hi - I saw your post and would like to know what car rental agency you ended up going with? I am flying into Seattle in Sept and the first step in my planning is securing a car. Thanks and enjoy your trip!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
543 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle car rental question

For whatever it's worth: We are picking up a Hertz car in downtown Seattle the end of August and returning it 5 days later. The AAA ofc in Boulder made reservations for me and the price is better than not bad!

In the meantime, a friend told me about checking HOTWIRE.com. The Hertz reservation is still the best SO FAR, but supposedly a few days before you need a car, prices come down. Companies want to move any inventory. The site is easy to navigate and I will check from time to time.

In addition, on another forum, a poster suggested going to www.mousesavers.com and getting discount codes. I have NOT done that yet, but I will.

Don't assume that an economy car will be the cheapest. Recently rented on the East Coast and the way to go was to rent an intermediate SUV.

"Happy navigating".

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
74 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle car rental question

We ended up using AVIS and everything went very smooth. After our wonderful visit to Mt. Rainier, we drove into the city and dropped our bags off at the Lake Union Silvercloud Inn. Then it was just a short ~5 minute drive to the downtown AVIS (there is a shell gas station a few blocks away for the final fill-up). The AVIS location was easy to find and the best part is it was a few short blocks from Top Pot Donuts! After dropping off, we walked to Top Pot and then around Pike's Place Market and the surrounding area. For the next 3 days we simply used the hotel's free shuttle which worked out perfectly.

Best of luck with your trip and I hope this helped.

Overlea, Maryland...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seattle car rental question

@moreweird: Of the little research I have done so far, the Hertz located at the Hyatt Hotel downtown has had the best rate. I will def look into Hotwire and Mousesavers..never even heard of that one! Glad to see you mentioned AAA as I have seriously started to consider becoming a member since I decided upon taking this trip.

@xxxadixxx: Sounds like you had a great time! I have heard good things about AVIS and have them on my list.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply ~ it is much appreciated!!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
543 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seattle car rental question

Kimbo........YES...you are correct about Hertz. Amazingly, the rate I received w/the AAA ofc doing it is cheaper than that.

I had never heard of mousesavers either.

Good Luck!

Tampa, Florida
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Seattle car rental question

Do Not Even Think About using the Rent A Wreck agency for your car. The place is a disaster and the cars are worse. We had the worst experience ever attempting to rent a car there. Poor service, poor office, poor organization, dirty, old, terrible.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seattle car rental question

I COMPLETELY AGREE!! In fact, I WISH that I had read your review - or the Google review for that matter - before I rented from them. It was easily, by far, the worst rental experience of any kind that I have ever had. The car was dirty, yes, but but the real problem was that it turned out not to have AC (the temp was in the 90s), which they forgot to mention to us. Once we found out (almost in Seattle) we wanted to return it, but I first had to drop off my wife and kids at the hotel and then find another car. I spent a TON of time trying to call places and get a car for immediate use. By the time I got back to the rental location it had been about 3 hours and 15 minutes, so they refused to give me a full refund! They insisted on charging me for a full day!!! I filed a complaint with Capital One, and they were great - their disputes department sided with me totally. But the point is: HORRIBLE place. Dirty, very strong bad smell in the office, and SLEAZY.