We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel from Seattle to Chicago

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel from Seattle to Chicago

My husband & I will be travelling on Amtrack "Empire Builder " from Seattle to Chicago in October this year. We recently read a review from one local travel writer saying that the food was "apalling!" & we would appreciate other opinions on that .

Many Thanks

Petal

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,672 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel from Seattle to Chicago

you can see the menus online. Personally I've done the 2 day trip to California and found the food quite good. Like anything, perhaps pack some snacks so your not ltd to just the train food.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel from Seattle to Chicago

amtrak recently completed an upgrade of their menu but not sure how good it is. repost on the train forum.

Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel from Seattle to Chicago

Hi,

How do I get access to the Train Forum?

Petal

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel from Seattle to Chicago

click on it

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,672 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel from Seattle to Chicago

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Tr…

Katzgear: while I admire your subtle sarcasm, almost like mine, it would be more useful to actually provide some info to the posters.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel from Seattle to Chicago

david. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train travel from Seattle to Chicago

Hey I am regular here and one in awhile check train forum, I always spend a fair amount of time figuring it out.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train travel from Seattle to Chicago

I made that run to Chicago a few years ago, but from Portland. Nice trip, though Montana N Dak get long. Pretty noisy in Spokane when they connect Seattle and Portland trains near midnight.

White Bear Lake...
Level Contributor
29 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train travel from Seattle to Chicago

We just returned from our trip. We took the Empire Building the opposite way - St Paul to Seattle. We loved it. This was our 3rd trip on Amtrak. Their food isn't like 5 star quality, but it was good. I can only think of 2 meals I did not like out of those 3 trips (probably a total of 14 meals). They also come with dessert and I just had some amazing peanut butter cheesecake on the last night. You can also bring your own snacks and drinks to have in your car if you are worried that you may leave hungry. The Lounge car also has some things to purchase but we never made it down there on our last trip. Have fun. You're going to enjoy it. Also, go to the wine tasting It was fun. We tried 4 wines. The cheese was okay. But, the cute older couple we sat with at our table was so funny to listen to, especially after the lady had her 3rd glass of wine! :)

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train travel from Seattle to Chicago

When we lived in Seattle we used to take the EB to St. Paul to visit family. usually at Christmas. One thing that really stuck out for us was the absurd timing of the route. You leave Seattle in the evening and by the time you get to the Cascades it is dark out (more so in December but still dark in October). Then dark all the way through the Rockies and the sub comes up just as you get to the grassland areas of Montana and Western North Dakota. Then night again down across MN getting to St. Paul in early morning. I suppose it does leave the southern Wisconsin stretch in daylight and that could be very pretty in October but I think it is a shame to miss all the mountain scenery.

With little kids we were always in coach which is much roomier than air travel but still noisey and hard to sleep in. If we had to do train again I think we would opt for a sleeper room. We thought the dining car food was only so-so but that was a number of years ago.