We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need some hotel suggestions

Florida
Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Topic
I need some hotel suggestions

We (2 adults & a 13 yo. son) are planning to visit Seattle in June. We plan to fly in a day early, then go on an Alaskan cruise. After the cruise, we're planning to spend a few days touring the city. We definitely want to tour EMP & the Space Needle, and also take the dinner train. Any other not to be missed attractions? Anyway, I would love some suggestions for hotels that are convenient to these attractions. We plan to take public transportation, so the location of the hotel is the most important factor. TIA

Seattle
Level Contributor
386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: I need some hotel suggestions

You must see Pike Place Market, which is just a few blocks west, toward the Sound, from the Westin. If you continue through the Market, past the pig and the flying fish, you'll come to the Pike Place Hillclimb. It's a grand stairway that leads down, down, down and ends right across the street from the aquarium on the waterfront.

Your 13-year-old will love these two things -- we do this with all our out-of-town guests:

Feeding french fries to the seagulls at Ivar's (head south toward the ferry terminal). Hold up a fry and the birds will swoop down and take it out of your hand.

Browse through Ye Olde Curiosity Shop. They have two mummies and other oddities. Skip the junk at the front of the store and head for the back.

Have fun, and "keep clam."

Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: I need some hotel suggestions

I agree with the input so far. Pike Place Mkt is a great place especially seeing the 'flying fish' that the vendors throw to one another. The acquarium is good too and so is the zoo. Maybe take a trip out to the locks to see the boats if there is time. Rent a car and go see Mt. Rainier or just a 45 minute drive east of town is Snoqualmie Falls - take a lunch or have lunch at the Salish Lodge. For your 13yo, the EMP is very cool. The Space Needle is overrated and overpriced to go to the top but it's worth it for outtatowners. If you have lunch there, the ride is free. You can sit there and enjoy the view and it rotates once/hour - afterwards, go to the Observation Deck. Beware of long lines if it's a nice day.

If there is time after your trip, go to Tillicum Village onboard the Argosy boat and have some of the best salmon around. It's a State Park that is accessed by only boat (either private or Argosy). You can stay all day, explore the island (about 3mil diameter) and it's only a 30 minute boatride. Our kids love it there and the food/entertainment is great.

Florida
Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: I need some hotel suggestions

Thanks again for all your suggestions. Most of what you've suggested we are going to do. The suggestions you've made that I didn't know about, will definitely be researched further. We're planning to stay 6 nights to hopefully see most of the highlights. EMP is the reason we chose this destination. DS really wants to go there.

Is there another way to get to the waterfront from the Westin? I have arthritis in my back & knees, & steps are very difficult for me. TIA :)

Seattle, WA
8 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: I need some hotel suggestions

I would definitly research the Alexis hotel in Seattle. My husband and I have stayed at the Alexis and LOVE it. It is so much nicer than the local Westin. We also did the dinner train and absolutely hated it. The food was disgusting and the train ride was tedious and boring. The service was also horrible. The whole experience was a waste of time and money. I know that sounds harsh but it was truly awful :) There are much better things to do.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: I need some hotel suggestions

One great hotel downtown is the Inn at The Market - beautiful hotel, right at the market!

I've also heard some good and bad things about the dinner train. It goes to the winery which is great, but some of the scenery you pass is "ehh".

I would recommend taking a day trip to Deception Pass or Mount Rainier - beautiful northwest spots!