We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt. St. Helen Info

sarasota, florida
3 posts
Save Topic
Mt. St. Helen Info

My family of 5 is on our way out to visit your beautiful PNW next week. We are staying in Ashford for the first 2 nights in order to explore Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helen. I have read that the Western approach into Mt. St. Helen is the most popular, but my kids really want to check out Ape Cave which is the Southern approach. Any itenerary suggestions for our family day trip ... easy hikes, must sees, etc.?

Another questions ... would it be too much in one day to take the Coho ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria, spend the day exploring Victoria and then head to our Seatac hotel? What would be the best route from Victoria to Seatac and how long would it take? Thanks so much for your help!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,288 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt. St. Helen Info

Victoria is really an all day adventure to get there. To get to Pt. Angeles you would have to take one ferry take the Hoods Canal Bridge then get to the Coho ferry. I'd suggest walking on the ferry as you don't really need a car. There is a city bus to get you to the Gardens and you won't have to mess with car traffic on the ferry. I think it would make a long day but its doable, expecially if you drive around on the Bremerton side and not wait for the ferry. If you take the Washington Ferry it takes a long time between the ferry and the driving. You can also just take the Victoria Clipper from downtown. You'll still spend the same amount of time but you won't have any driving involved.