We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Orcas Island

new york, new york
7 posts
Save Topic
Ferry to Orcas Island

We are travelling to Seattle on Friday, Sept 2 (yes labor day weekend) , staying at the Fairmont in Seattle until Sunday, then driving up to Anacortes on Sunday to take a ferry to Orcas Island.

I see that you can't make reservations on the ferry and I am a little concerned about how far in advance you need to get to Anacortes, It will be Labor Day weekend but it will be Sunday. I was thinking about getting there an hour or so ahead of time but do you think I will need more time?? thanks

Schwetzingen, GE
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to Orcas Island

You can log on to the Washington State Ferry System at your leisure. Ferries run on the half-hour so you'll get to Orcas Island even if there's a line (and there probably will be over Labor Day). Bring along some snacks, water and something to read.

We ferry from Mukilteo to Whidbey Island frequently and waits of up to two hours during summer weekends aren't unusual.

Be sure you drive south from Anacortes to the Deception Bay Bridge, it's one of the highlights of visiting Washington State.

new york, new york
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to Orcas Island

Jerry O:

Ferries don't run every half hour to Orcas from Anacortes according to the schedule that I am looking at. I see a 10, 11:45 and 2:45 unless that changes for Labor Day weekend.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to Orcas Island

Going out to the islands on Sunday midday you should be fine getting there about an hour ahead. Be aware that there is no food service on the ferries so grab something to eat before getting on the boat. Anacortes Chocolate Factory and Gere-A-Deli will pack box lunches to take or the Rock Fish Grill is a great local brewery with great fish and chips. If you have time, instead of going directly to the ferry terminal, go ahead into Washington Park and drive the loop road, great views and photo op's.