We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Freemont from Downtown

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Guilford...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Freemont from Downtown

Hi!

We'll be staying at the Seattle Sheraton and want to go to the Freemont district. What would be the best way to get there and is it safe to go at nite?

Thanks!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
359 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Freemont from Downtown

If you have a car, then driving would probably be the easiest. If no car, then the bus is a good way to go. There are buses that run from downtown to Fremont without any transfers required, so the trip only takes about 20 minutes.

Bus numbers 26 and 28 would be most convenient and they run on 3rd Avenue.

You can enter your specific times into Metro's trip planning website:

tripplanner.metrokc.gov/cgi-bin/itin_page.pl…

Use "N 35TH ST & FREMONT AVE N" for the Fremont address and "SHERATON HOTEL" as your starting point. The trip planner will tell you to catch the bus at 3rd and Pike, which is a few blocks for your hotel. I would NOT use this stop especially at night, as it is not very safe (there was a shooting there last week during the evening commute). Spend the extra minutes and walk a few blocks to/from the 3rd & Seneca stop.

If you are returning from Fremont very late, the buses run less frequently and stop altogether around 12:30am. So for the return trip, a taxi would save some time and would be more direct.

-Carrie

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
359 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Freemont from Downtown

Oh and regarding safety, I wouldn't hesitate to use the bus and spend time in Fremont in the evening even if by myself. After about 10pm, I'd seriously consider taking a taxi back to the hotel mainly to avoid the wait at the bus stop and the several blocks of walking back to the hotel late at night.

Guilford...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Freemont from Downtown

Thanks Carrie! I feel much better about going...I was told it was way on the otherside of town and would take a while to get there.

I presume there are good restaurants in the area? Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
143 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Freemont from Downtown

Love Fremont and glad to see your venturing out of the downtown corridor to see it!

Restaurants I like in Fremont are:

Chiso - great sushi

Dad Watsons - chill pub w/ good brew and burgers

Red Door - little more excitement than above, great prices on soups/salads/burgers

DO stop and have a beer or 3 at Brauers (sp?) over 100 microbrews on tap and more than 300 in bottles... fanastic place.

In case you didn't already know Fremont has a fab "street market" on Sundays. If you have time definitely check it out.

Safe? Fremont? most definitely...kinda feel funny even having to say that about fremont. Those of you that live here will understand. :)

Guilford...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Freemont from Downtown

Thanks Cfritz for the restaurant info!

We'll definitely check out the beer too! : )

Had to ask about Fremont...(no insults intended to anybody from there!) I love funky areas, but you never know now a days and I knew this would be the place to get the low down. Can't wait to go!

Thanks again!

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,776 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Freemont from Downtown

Fremont's a great neighborhood... not as funky as 20 years ago, but then, what is? It's cleaned up with lots of new construction along the water's edge, high-end condos, etc. but still some good shops and restaurants with the original spirit of things.

I have even walked there from downtown (took over 1 hour) but is easily reached by car, bus, or taxi. Driving time from downtown is perhaps 10-15 mins. By bus a bit longer.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
195 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Freemont from Downtown

From downtown you can easily get to Fremont via bus numbers 17, 26, and 28 (if you take #17, you'll have to get off near the Fremont Bridge and walk across). #28 stops running from Downtown around 7pm. #26/28 board at 3rd/Union, and #17 boards on 4th Avenue at Westlake Park.

The bus ride should be no more than 15-20 minutes, even during rush hour. As others said, a Taxi is probably the best bet later at night, and shouldn't be more than about $10. You will easily be able to hail one on the street.

I've never felt unsafe in Fremont.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Freemont from Downtown

If you take the 17 make sure you take the 17 local... otherwise you will not head up Westlake but rather will head north on the West side of Queen Anne Hill and will go to Ballard. You can walk down to 4th Ave easily from the Sheraton. Use the tripplanner for exact details. You can ask the bus driver to let you know when you get to the Fremont bridge.

Fremont is well known for their public art and the June Solstice Parade but as a neighborhood it is vibrant all around. The appealing heart of the neighborhood down by the ship canal and in the shadow of the Aurora bridge has fun shopping, good bars and restaurants, live music and a nice canal-side park.

I would second the Brouwer's recommendation if you are a beer drinker. They have approximately 60 beers on tap with strong emphases on West/NW microbrews and Belgian beer. The website beer list is out of date as it lists far fewer beers than they actually have. There are in the range of 200 hundred beers by the bottle and also a sizeable collection of scotches. Just about every beer has its own designated glassware. The kitchen puts out hearty pub food such as frites, hunter sausage and fried halibut. It is at 35th and Phinney.

If you are looking for a nice dinner out, I think perhaps the finest restaurant in Fremont is the 35th Street Bistro. http://www.35bistro.com/

Last year (approximately) a chocolate factory, Theo Chocolates, opened in Fremont near the canal. The chocolates are fantastic.

If you are interested in seeing a band, the High Dive is a great live music venue with a full calendar of shows. It is mostly rock.

Depending on when you are here Fremont hosts a fun Octoberfest with a beer garden, live music and a chainsaw pumpkin carving contest.

Hope you enjoy your trip. If you need more info about Fremont, let us know

klsalas

9. Re: Getting to Freemont from Downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, September 07, 2009