We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to and from Kingston

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
780 posts
105 reviews
84 helpful votes
Driving to and from Kingston

We are looking to drive to Kingston to visit my friend during our Seattle vacation. Plan on checking out of our first accommodation on Westlake and taking an Uber to the Avis by the Space Needle since it is the closest car rental location (Hertz is closer but has horrible reviews and is temporarily closed.) Google maps is taking me to Kingston via the Bainbridge Island ferry. I was planning on taking the Ferry at Edmonton. After visiting with my friend we will be driving back to Seattle and checking into our second accommodation in Magnolia near the Ballard Locks. Would think crossing to Edmonton would be more direct and avoid driving through the downtown area but Google maps shows the two routes to be about equal. Any thoughts as to which route would be better? Is it possible to take the Bainbridge ferry going up and the Edmonton ferry coming back? Do we need to reserve the ferries ahead of time? Thanks a lot.

2 replies to this topic
Eastsound...
Level Contributor
183 posts
43 reviews
18 helpful votes
1. Re: Driving to and from Kingston

You could definitely do a loop using both ferries. It's Edmonds, btw, not Edmonton. The Bainbridge ferry is a longer ride. Neither route takes reservations. I'd go Edmonds-Kingston first then return to Seattle from Bainbridge for the view.

Sequim, Washington
Level Contributor
4,169 posts
95 reviews
67 helpful votes
2. Re: Driving to and from Kingston

I'm not sure about your schedule, but there is now another alternative to getting to Kingston, WA from downtown Seattle that may save you from needing to rent a car or take expensive ferry rides.

The Kitsap Fast Ferry (a passenger only ferry) goes directly between Seattle and Kingston.

I've attached a link to its webpage/schedule. This would cost you $40 round trip for the 2 of you. Driving and taking a ferry will cost you the rental car fee, and roughly $48 in additional ferry fees. With the Kitsap Fast Ferry, you will be assured of a space on the ferry. You may need to wait in line for the next ferry on a traditional car ferry depending on the day/time.

kitsaptransit.com/service/fast-ferry/kingsto…

Edited: 10:17 pm, June 10, 2019
Reply to: Driving to and from Kingston
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted