We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me convince my family to go to Seattle!!

Maryland
Level Contributor
445 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Help me convince my family to go to Seattle!!

I want to come to Seattle for our vacation this year, but as usual, my kids and husband would rather go to the beach!. I bought a Seattle guide book and need some help. Can anyone suggest some cool stuff to do with a 16 and 14 year old (both boys)? I dnn't want to spend another vacation at a Maryland/Delaware beach!

Seattle
Level Contributor
386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me convince my family to go to Seattle!!

Here are a few things:

Are your kids into music? If so, they'll love Experience Music Project (emplive.com), where they can try out rock instruments in private studio booths that give automated lessons. They can also make their own music video and take home a copy.

You can rent kayaks on Lake Union and paddle around the houseboats and watch the seaplanes land and take off right overhead.

Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe has a couple of mummified people along with other oddities that your kids have never seen. Next door at Ivar's, the seagulls will fly by and take french fries right out of your hand.

Take a day hike at Mount Rainier or go further down to Mount St. Helens, where you can see and hear unforgettable tales of survival.

Take a whale-watching cruise in the San Juan Islands.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,277 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me convince my family to go to Seattle!!

TwoEditorz gave great information so I won't repeat it. I would add a Mariner's baseball game though! Safeco Field is fun in itself, and there are some seats that you can see out over the city as well. We moved away from Seattle last year, but our kids are already begging to go back for a ballgame.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,277 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me convince my family to go to Seattle!!

TwoEditorz gave great information so I won't repeat it. I would add a Mariner's baseball game though! Safeco Field is fun in itself, and there are some seats that you can see out over the city as well. We moved away from Seattle last year, but our kids are already begging to go back for a ballgame.

bellingham, WA
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me convince my family to go to Seattle!!

The Museum of Flight, The Seattle Center, Pike Place Market, Alki Beach, Pacific Science Center, The Waterfront, The Ferries, The Best Restaraunts in the Country, Seattle Art Museum, Queen Anne Hill, Whale Watching, Seafair, Bumbershoot (They would love Bumbershoot and Seafair!) Lake Washington, Travel North to Skagit Valley and take the Ferry to the San Juan Islands.

Maryland
Level Contributor
445 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me convince my family to go to Seattle!!

Thank you everyone! I think it worked - we looked up most of the things that were mentioned here in the guidebook and on the internet and they are all interested now.

Seattle
Level Contributor
386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me convince my family to go to Seattle!!

Yay!

(I heartily echo the other posts. And if the M's are in town, you MUST take in a game at Safeco Field.)

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
869 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me convince my family to go to Seattle!!

July 14, 15, 16 and 17 the Orioles play the Mariners at Safeco...A quick search shows very good seats still available...

And Seattle does have beaches...so a walk on the sand can be had if needed...