We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I get a picture of Mt Rainier on a cloudy day?

UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Where can I get a picture of Mt Rainier on a cloudy day?

I’m visiting Seattle at the moment and it’s very cloudy. I was really hoping to get a picture of Mt Rainier somewhere but I can’t see it! Does anyone have any tips of somewhere I’d be able to see it in low cloud?

Thanks!

Best Seller
Seattle CityPASS
373 Reviews
from $89.00*
Mt. Rainier Day Trip from Seattle
279 Reviews
from $134.99*
Best Seller
Seattle Locks Cruise
265 Reviews
from $46.79*
18 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
981 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Where can I get a picture of Mt Rainier on a cloudy day?

You may well be out of luck today. Sometimes, when it's cloudy in Seattle, you can still have a beautiful mountain experience IN the park - as the main visitors centers are several thousand feet above Seattle. Sometimes, that puts them above the clouds. Not today - at least not right now.

You can Google "rainier web cams' and get links to a number of web cams distributed around the volcano. These help you gauge the conditions at various locations in the park - sometimes it's even clear at Sunrise while it's cloudy at Paradise. It seems to be cloudy all around the mountain right now.

Sometimes you can get a great photo of the portion of the Mountain that usually rises above the clouds out the window of your airplane as you depart Seattle, depending on where your flying to and which direction the planes are departing (north or south). Sometimes flight attendants are happy to help you know which side of the plane will have the view of Rainier as you depart (usually 5-15 minutes into the flight, as the plane gets above the clouds and orients towards it's destination).

Note: I visited Seattle six or seven times in my life before taking a job here - and NEVER saw the mountain during any of those visits, despite being ON the Mountain (in Rainier N.P.) on two of those visits. Here's hoping it decides to come out for you today. When it does, it's pretty much viewable from EVERYWHERE.

Edited: 2:06 pm, September 20, 2018
Seattle
Level Contributor
51,198 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Where can I get a picture of Mt Rainier on a cloudy day?

No. Either the mountain is "out" or it's not.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
981 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Where can I get a picture of Mt Rainier on a cloudy day?

OK - Current state, from viewing Rainier web cams:

the clouds seem to be piling up on the SW side of the Mountain - Paradise is socked-in, and from the Camp Muir web cam (high above Paradise on the southern face of Rainier), it appears the ceiling is currently in the 10000' area. the Longmire camera showed conditions clear at that level, but views of the Mountain obscured by the layer of clouds above that location (the same layer that was "socking-in" Paradise).

from the Sunrise visitors center cameras, it appears that the clouds are a bit above the center, and the lower several thousand feet of the volcano are visible - including most of Little Tahoma. I'm guessing that the summit shows itself now and again to people at the visitors center.

no idea how conditions will morph over the coming minutes/hours - but as of 11:15a today, that's what the web cams showed.

It's a 2.5 hour drive to Sunrise - about 3 to Paradise. A pretty big gamble on a day like today, if you even have the time or rental car to do such a day trip.

Edited: 2:21 pm, September 20, 2018
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
267 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Where can I get a picture of Mt Rainier on a cloudy day?

I love these trick questions: The answer is you can't get a picture, the Mountain is obscured.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Where can I get a picture of Mt Rainier on a cloudy day?

Wait for Sunday.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
508 posts
44 reviews
6. Re: Where can I get a picture of Mt Rainier on a cloudy day?

Buy a postcard?? Seriously, or a photo book. It is not a daily occurrence here, which is part of the thrill when she is visible.

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,198 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: Where can I get a picture of Mt Rainier on a cloudy day?

True enough. We can go for weeks without seeing the mountain.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,853 posts
102 reviews
8. Re: Where can I get a picture of Mt Rainier on a cloudy day?

We are currently at Rainier, at Paradise. We could see the mountain earlier today on the drive here although there were a few clouds, but not many. By the late afternoon you could only see about half of it. Paradise Lodge area was fine as were the easy trails around it. It just was socked in much further up.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Where can I get a picture of Mt Rainier on a cloudy day?

True enough. We can go for weeks without seeing the mountain

----------

True in November-March, not really in Septemeber.

Edited: 12:12 am, September 21, 2018
UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Where can I get a picture of Mt Rainier on a cloudy day?

That’s super helpful, thank you so much!!

Reply to: Where can I get a picture of Mt Rainier on a cloudy day?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted