We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Standard SUV Car Rental Rates

Connecticut
Level Contributor
738 posts
8 reviews
Standard SUV Car Rental Rates

I put my husband in charge of finding a rental car (as I do ALL the rest of the vacation planning!) and he's coming up with rental car rates of $1080 to $1162 for 8 days (one week, plus one day extra). This is for the end of July/early August We will be spending the last couple of nights in Seattle, and don't want to keep a car for the final 2 nights.

These rates seem soooo high to me. It is through Costco, and it's for a standard SUV. Because we have 4 people with 4 large suitcases, plus 4 carryons, this seems to be the size car that will work best for us.

Is this really the going rate, or do I need to have him keep searching?

11 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
71,359 posts
132 reviews
1. Re: Standard SUV Car Rental Rates

Can you switch the pick up location to someplace other than SeaTac? There are rental locations nearby.

A quick internet search shows Enterprise with much lower rates.

Seattle
Level Contributor
6,620 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Standard SUV Car Rental Rates

Your time frame is HIGH season! So you have to expect to pay the piper. - Costco will have the best rates available.

You can help yourselves by renting a smaller car. - Do you really don't need four large suitcases and four carry ons for four people??

Even for a cruise, that's way too much luggage~~~~~~~~~~

Connecticut
Level Contributor
738 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Standard SUV Car Rental Rates

I can check offsite, but sometimes those places aren’t open late. We plan on returning the car after a long leisurely drive from Winthrop. Usually offsite closes by 6pm and we won’t be back by then.

Regarding the luggage, yes, that is how much we will have, it’s not changing. :-)

We’re packing for warm weather, rain, chilly evenings in the mountains, hiking boots, regular shoes, sandals, etc.

Also, my girls are short and prefer to be higher up. At home we have a sedan and an SUV and we never take the sedan if going for a scenic ride with them.

Edited: 7:04 pm, May 06, 2018
Sequim, Washington
Level Contributor
3,906 posts
90 reviews
4. Re: Standard SUV Car Rental Rates

You need to consider the rental car category "Intermediate SUV" I picked 8 days at the end of July/Start of August and came up with Alamo at SEATAC for $758 for a Toyota RAV 4. This was through the COSTCO website which usually is the best deal and provides for an extra driver free.

An intermediate SUV should easily fit 4 adults and luggage. I drive a Subaru Forrester (Another Intermediate SUV) and I would have no difficulties fitting in 4 adults/luggage. I would stop and think about just how much you need to pack for just 8 days.

I was "upgraded" to a full size SUV recently in Hawaii. (they had run out of the correct size cars.....) We ended up calling it "the tank" because it was just so big, guzzled gas like there was no tomorrow, and really made us think everytime we had to park. I would go with the Intermediate SUV every time.

The other thing to consider is how many days will you be spending in downtown Seattle? You don't need a car there and parking is quite expensive. Some people will take a cab to their downtown hotel (about $50) and just walk to the sights for a few days. Then, when they actually need a car, they rent it downtown and head on out. This could be another money saving angle for you.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
738 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Standard SUV Car Rental Rates

Thanks so much, we will look into that!

The trip is for 10 days, not 8. The last two days I don’t need the car.

Seattle
Level Contributor
6,620 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Standard SUV Car Rental Rates

"Regarding the luggage, yes, that is how much we will have, it’s not changing. :-)"

Well, if you think you will need all that stuff in late July/ early August, then go for it!.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
738 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Standard SUV Car Rental Rates

I’m truly not understanding the issue with the luggage. The carry ons are very small backpacks (a change of outfits, sweater for the plane, electronics, reading material, a few granola bars for the plane). Aside from that, we each have our own luggage. We could get by with 3 suitcases for 4 people, but we are staying in two different rooms, moving every couple of nights. I can’t split a suitcase in half. I also want to have extra room for any souvenirs we may buy. Hiking boots, a hair dryer, etc...it takes up room.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
71,359 posts
132 reviews
8. Re: Standard SUV Car Rental Rates

Some people travel light. I am not one of them, so it makes sense to me. :) Get whatever size vehicle you need.

It may be more cost effective to pay for parking one night in Seattle and to return the car to a downtown location the next morning. As it's such a busy time of year, searching for a better priced rental can be 'worth' your time.

Seattle
Level Contributor
6,620 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Standard SUV Car Rental Rates

OK, going to give this one more try.

From your posting history, I note that you don't plan on rigorous, lengthy hiking (rough trails, lots of scrambling, etc.).

If that is the case, you can leave the hiking boots at home. - Four pairs of hiking boots should free up one suitcase all by themselves.

Other judicious pruning will get you down to two shared suitcases.

Edited: 11:19 pm, May 06, 2018
Sequim, Washington
Level Contributor
3,906 posts
90 reviews
10. Re: Standard SUV Car Rental Rates

Sorry about all the flack on luggage! Your original description may have painted a different picture than you thought.

Anyway, come and enjoy yourselves. I know 4 adults and 4 basic suitcases and nap sacks will fit in an intermediate SUV

Reply to: Standard SUV Car Rental Rates
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted