We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska Hwy vs Klondike Loop

Which Skagway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Alaska Hwy vs Klondike Loop

I start off in Anchorage-then will be traveling from Tok down to Haines-taking the ferry to Juneau staying 2 full days then taking the ferry to Skagway.

QUESTION: I have 3 /12 days to return to Anchorage after landing in Skagway-should i go from Skagway and take the Klondike route to Dawson CIty,Tok and back to Anchorage or go from Skagway to White Horse and cut over to Haines junction and back up the Alaska Hwy back to Anchorage?

thanks

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,445 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska Hwy vs Klondike Loop

If it's just a matter of time, It's about 8 more hours of driving time involved in the Dawson route. I love Dawson and I'd drive 8 more hours just to spend a couple of hours there.

More so, it depends on what time of the year are you doing it in (Top of the World Hwy open?) and has the weather been kind to that highway (it has been closed due to weather/flooding/etc.).

Good luck,

Scott

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,315 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska Hwy vs Klondike Loop

What time of year would be a big key...

Whichever route you choose, I would highly recommend having a copy of the MIlepost. www.TheMilepost.com

In my opinion it's the best guide to the drive.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska Hwy vs Klondike Loop

If you do go to Dawson and then over the Top of the World Highway to Tok, make sure you check with Customs (both Canadian and US) for their hours......we had to cut short a trip up that way one September so we could cross the border before they closed for the night.........

Also make sure to bring passports.......

We spend three nights in Dawson a few years ago and just scratched the surface.......planning on going there this summer......great place !

florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska Hwy vs Klondike Loop

thanks for your info--i will be in that area the second week of september--any problems traveling the klondike route that time of year?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska Hwy vs Klondike Loop

The highway itself should be fine......a little early for snow, but it could happen.......and the colorful fall leaves may have fallen by then......

Another thing to consider is that after Labor Day, many tourist attractions close down......one good thing is that the accommodation rates sometimes go down, as well......

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,791 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska Hwy vs Klondike Loop

That's a long drive from Dawson as the Top of the World Hwy is not paved (plan on 35 mph). We did that almost 20 years ago and spent the night in Glennallen. So, perhaps two days from Dawson to Anchorage.

That gives you one and a half days to get to Dawson from Skagway.

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
816 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaska Hwy vs Klondike Loop

Both routes take you through Whitehorse. From Skagway to Dawson City, the Klondoke H. is aprox 8h drive. The Top of the World H. (Yukon) is chip-seal except for a few patches of gravel. The Taylor H. is mainly gravel, count 15h drive to Alaska H. Always check for road conditions.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alaska Hwy vs Klondike Loop

oooh, just a tip on the chip-seal roadways.......the state redid some of our roads here in Haines with chip-seal and folks all over town now have chipped windshields....we have two vehicles, both now have "starred" windshields......drive slowly, keep as much room as possible between you and the car ahead of you and when a car approaches in the opposite direction, pull as far to the right as you possibly can..........

Palm Harbor, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Alaska Hwy vs Klondike Loop

if you had your choice-would you go up the klondike for the extra 8 hours or take the time to head back towards Anchorage and take in Homer instead?

thanks

sue

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
816 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alaska Hwy vs Klondike Loop

The Klondike, Top of the World, Taylor loop is probably an extra 15 h at the wheel. It's boreal and sub-arctic forest with a few nice viewpoints and some history.

Edited: 8:19 am, February 02, 2013