We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car skagway

Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Rent a car skagway

Would we be able to see the white pass summit by car, or only by the train ride.? We are thinking about renting a car to get around to make the most of our time? Is that a good idea in Skagway?

Vancouver, British...
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Rent a car skagway

Is there any gas stations along Klondike Highway from Skagway to Emerald Lake? Do I have to worry about gas refil?

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,091 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Rent a car skagway

G'day Dianne, and welcome to the TA forums.

The round trip to Emerald Lake from Skagway would only be about 250km so you will have no worries if you start on a full tank.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Rent a car skagway

As far as I know there are none. Perhaps at Carcross. Rental agencies are supposed to provide a full tank, and you are expect to fill the tank upon return, or pay high prive per gallon on return

Skagway, Alaska
Level Contributor
88 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Rent a car skagway

If you are doing a day trip out of Skagway following the recommended route to Emerald Lake, Yukon (73 miles north of Skagway, say 150 miles roundtrip), and Dyea (about 20 miles roundtrip), you shouldn't need to worry about refueling until you're back in Skagway. Our Jeeps get about 20 miles to the gallon, and it takes about $40-50 of gas, or roughly 9 gallons, to do both. The Jeeps probably have some of the smallest gas tanks, at around 13-14 gallons. If they can make it, I can't imagine a vehicle that can't.

There is a gas station right on the highway in Carcross, but fuel will be even more costly than in Skagway, where it's currently around $4.65/gallon.

Hope this helps!

JJ

Edited: 3:03 pm, August 16, 2012
Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Rent a car skagway

Montana Services in Carcross. Spirit Lake, a minute south of Emerald Lake might even have pumps. I didn't notice yesterday. Don't worry. You'll be fine.

Carl

16. Re: Rent a car skagway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, June 26, 2013
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Rent a car skagway

philpetrus - not quite sure what costs you are referring to. BTW the railway is on the right and the highway is on the left. The railway gives you views unavalible to travelling by rental car, such as at Bennett. Main expense is the train ride which is not government subsitized as most railways in the world.

San Rafael, CA
Level Contributor
28 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Rent a car skagway

Rent a car - the highway scenery to Emerald Lake is great and it is much faster than the train and far less expensive. There are many scenic overlooks. We decided to do the loop up to the Alaskan Highway and would not recommend as it is not very scenic at all. The train is very expensive and very slow. Very touristy also. We used Avis rent a car - easy walk from cruise ship, but a little expensive ($130 with taxes). But the train was about $200 per person. Stopped in Carcross - not much to see - a little beach. We were on the road with many tour buses, small and large. We were so happy we were not in such a group! We bought Murray's guide online for $5 - but you don't even need this.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Rent a car skagway

babygame - yes the train is slow, but so what. Are you in a hurry? I wouldn't say the trains are touristy at all, just longer than they historically were prior to the closure in 1982. The train also goes to places where the roads don't go, such as Bennett. We have driven the South Klondike Hwy and really found the train very relaxing.

Salt Lake City...
5 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Rent a car skagway

Consider Sourdough Rentals in Skagway. They rent not-brand-new cars, for $80/day. I rented from them last week, had a very nice day with my wife driving up to Emerald Lake and back on about $26 worth of gas. I will rent from Sourdough the next time I visit Skagway.