We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

portland house restaurant,skagway,,,,,brilliant

milan
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
portland house restaurant,skagway,,,,,brilliant

to who is going to visit Skagway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eat at portland house restaurant,owned by Daniel Stefas,him and his family,from Thive,Greece.

i have been there on July 1999,with Carnival cruise....

a wonderful time of my life!!!!!!...............

we eat at this restaurant ,we are greeks and seeing the greek flag outside the restaurant, we entered...

we ate delocious things,calamari,prawns,ouzo,many plates with fish....

try it!!!!!!

and give many regards to the owner,from Kokkas family from Halkida,Greece...........

thanks..........

Skagway, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Skagway
Level Contributor
609 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: portland house restaurant,skagway,,,,,brilliant

To the Kokkas family, (and all others who would seek a a bit of reality in our small place) I must tell you the sad news that Danny the Greek (as he was affectionately known, here in Skagway) passed from this world in the first year of this Century, and he is missed by many, who knew him! His restaurant, The Portland House, was situated just one block off of the main tourist strip, so it was missed by many who might have had a unique experience such as the previous writer who found their flag just one block over from that strange land of "one more trinket alley"! But you didn't have to be from Greece, or know that particular flag to find and enjoy The Portland House Restaurant. You could have just walked off that Strip yourself, a block or so and asked any local in their garden where to find a good restaurant and there was a good chance that they would have sent you that way, anyway, because, you see, Danny used local produce from my sisters garden (and others) in his labor of love, and it made all the difference in the dining experience! So, sadly, Danny is gone, and the Strip is still there, to satisfy the masses chasing coupon clippings and Chinese made freebies up one side of trinket alley and back down the other. Or you can buy a book of coupons (or wait until you are on the ship, where they will give you one for free!!!!!!!) and they will all steer you to the same places, on the Strip, because it takes just a little extra courage to venture off by yourselves to find the Dannys of the world. And, no, there are no cannibals in the back streets of Skagway, and no bears prowling the north end of town, where I live, but some of the tour sellers will imply same in order that you won't just walk out to the Gold Rush cemetery, but buy their overpriced ride out there where they will drop you off and let you walk back, because on you way out, the only thing you will see which may resemble a bear on certain bad mornings, will be me working in my front yard flowers! And, yes, sometimes you might observe, from your seat in the bus that I may be eating a few of them. Further out you may see the natives dancing around the boiling cauldron with bones wound into the womens hair, but fear not, from tne safety of the observation deck, those are bear bones from last night s feast........really! Come find us for a uniqe experience. DD

Minnesota
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: portland house restaurant,skagway,,,,,brilliant

Exactly the type of place I'm looking for! I'm not coming on a cruise or looking for trinket alley. I want something "real" on my vacation, something I can remember.