We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day tours for someone who is not a hiker etc

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
295 reviews
Save Topic
day tours for someone who is not a hiker etc

Next year in January I think, I hope to volunteer in San Ramon.

What I understand is I will have Friday,Saturday and Sunday off.

I have a disability, no wheelchair or canes but I do have 2 artificial legs so I am not about to go hiking, swimming or diving. So the question is what would be a good day trip or maybe a one nighter.

Beaches I guess don't make sense for me but quiet places where I can see wildlife or scenic things would be nice.

Appreciate any input,

6 replies to this topic
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day tours for someone who is not a hiker etc

I think you will need to do some research and decide for yourself which activities you are capable of doing. One thing I would focus on is boat trips/float trips which don't require any hiking or long walks.

You can check here as a starting point: www.govisitcostarica.com

You might try a Google search using something like "visiting Costa Rica with disabilities."

Edited: 7:38 pm, January 28, 2012
Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day tours for someone who is not a hiker etc

Thanks Hattie. I want to make sure I do visit something other than just San Ramon.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day tours for someone who is not a hiker etc

I would also check Poas Volcano and Irazu Volcano. I seem to remember that Poas has a paved sidewalk that might make it easier for you. An interesting place not too far from San Ramon is Nectandra Cloud Forest Garden. Check it out -- you could send them an email if you have questions. http://www.nectandra.org/ You could also consider one of the coffee tours which will not involve any hiking but a little walking. The Doka tour is one that is recommended here a lot.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day tours for someone who is not a hiker etc

Thanks I have 2 long weekends to do things. Your other link made me want to go to a lodge near Arenal.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
365 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day tours for someone who is not a hiker etc

I would look into the boat trips up at Cano Negro which can easily be done as a day trip (with transportation) from many hotels in Arenal. We saw a great variety of wildlife - sloths, monkeys, iguanas, caimans and loads of birds. One of my friends has an articial leg from knee down and she had absolutely no problem with this.

We also stayed for a few nights at Selva Verde in the Sarapiqui area - tons of wildlife right on the grounds and walking at La Selva OTS is very flat. The rooms and restaurants do require walking up steps though.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day tours for someone who is not a hiker etc

San Ramon is a centre for growing coffee. There are coffee tours that don't require a lot of walking. There is a butterfly farm not far away and an orchid farm. Friday afternoon and Saturday morning are market days and the farmer's market is well worth a visit. A trip to Arenal is a 3 hour drive that can be done by bus or private driver. (We recommend Alex -- alexhv456@hotmail.com) . There is a small museum in San Ramon. It is also easy to get to Sarchi a very famous wood carving area.

Hope this helps. Can I ask who are you volunteering with? We live in San Ramon half of each year which is why I am interested.

Reply to: day tours for someone who is not a hiker etc
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Ramon