We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seward Full Day and Train?

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
LI NY
Level Contributor
433 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Seward Full Day and Train?

Hi,

Our ship will dock around 5:00am on a Friday. We have a flight out of Anchorage around 4:00PM the following day. We're going last week in May.

We were thinking of taking the Alaska Train up to Anchorage but if I'm not mistaken there is only

Train from Seward up to Anchorage at 6:00PM? Is that correct?

If it is, what can we do all day in Seward and where can we stow our luggage?

Is there a big difference taking the train versus a bus as far as site seeing?

Thanks much

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,223 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seward Full Day and Train?

Who is we and what are your interests?

I wiuld suggest a 6 hour Kenai Fjords tour unless you have small children. Back by 5.30 and the take you to the train. You can check yiur luggage at the train (after 9am I think) or the boat tour company will keep it.

LI NY
Level Contributor
433 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seward Full Day and Train?

Husband and I..

We like site seeing, kayaking etc.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,223 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seward Full Day and Train?

Without knowing what "etc" is (it might include the option I gave, which is marine wildlife, scenery and a stop at a glacier), I would then look for a kayaking tour that is over by 5pm. Since you have all day, I am sure you can find some kayak tour that interests you.

Re: bus vs. train. They take the same route for over half of the time. For a time the train splits from the road. Some say the train is more scenic. Others like me say both are incredibly scenic. For me, ideal is a car so I can take my time and stop when/where I want. With a bus or train, all you get are drive-by views. No way to say, "stop the bus/train I want to get a better photo of that moose over there." I would take whichever is most convenient and probably whichever gives you the most time in Seward.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,288 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seward Full Day and Train?

There is the cruise line train that departs at 7am same tracks but alot more expensive than the regular 6pm and you wouldn't have the day to spend in Seward.

8am luggage storage at the train and you won't see it again till Anc

Unless you request earlier, you probably won't disembark the ship till around 8-9 am

As mentioned.. wildlife cruises are #1 popular. Their timing is set to make the 6pm train.

Several kayaking companies, dogsled rides- wheeled and helicopter, Exit Glacier, Sealife Center, fishing,

A popular combination for a day in Seward...get a taxi and drop off luggage at the train. Head out to Exit Glacier 10am 2pm and 4pm there are free ranger led hikes.. average is 2 hours. Get dropped off on the way back for a dogsled ride... 2 hours. Head downtown for a late lunch/early dinner. Sealife Center 1 hour or so and then make your way to the train. If you have time and aren't already tired..walk to the train along the shore on the historic Iditarod trail. Reservations are needed for the dogsledding but everything else can be switched around time wise.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seward Full Day and Train?

I would choose the train which goes by the glaciers. What we love about the train is that we can get up & move around, even go between cars for pictures which is possible since the train goes slowly.

There is a lot of rich history through that area that the train narrator will share.

Look up at the Top Questions for this Seward forum & there is one regarding sea kayaking.

Edited: 11:39 am, February 22, 2014
LI NY
Level Contributor
433 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seward Full Day and Train?

So I'm guessing the cruise port isn't very close to the Alaska train?

Would you need to take a cab to exit Glacier?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,223 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seward Full Day and Train?

Actually the train is really close to the cruise port. Walking distance, though not so much with luggage.

You can take Exit Glacier Guides shuttle for $10/person round trip or a taxi. Honestly, with two people and for the flexibility you would have, I would take a taxi. Personally I would recommend PJ's Taxi. I think it might be about $25 round trip or slightly more (total, not per person) and gives you more flexibility.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
9 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seward Full Day and Train?

My mother and I did a tour that included Seavys dog sled , a guided tour of exit glacier and lunch for about $100 a person. It was fantastic. Just the right amount to do in a day. We also did the self guided tour of exit glacier with our husbands that same day. The tour guide got us right up to the glacier (we could fill our water bottles if you wanted to ) so it was worth the guide. If you have wheeled luggage you can definitely walk to the train station from the cruise ship. I personally feel that the train is more relaxing than the bus. Have a wonderful time.

9. Re: Seward Full Day and Train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 25, 2015