We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three Days in Seward Area

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Three Days in Seward Area

I asked this same question in the Denali forum, but it applies to Seward as well. We'll have three days in Seward. Our big event will be the fjords cruise 6 hour or longer. We'll be determining which day to go based on the weather. So my question is what are some recommended activities in the Seward area (We have a car) for days we're not going on the fjord cruise. We're also looking at kayaking. Do you have some drives we can do from there, some hikes, other activities of interest, fishing, etc. Thanks for your suggestions. This would be likely something to do on a not so nice weather wise day/s.

Thanks

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three Days in Seward Area

One post script...Suggestions on a cruise...Kenai Fjords, Major Marine, or any other cruise operator? We'd like to see whales if possible and calving of glaciers. Thanks again!

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three Days in Seward Area

Okay, I really need to think things out before I hit send...Anyway, a post, post script...Where would we have a better chance of seeing glaciers calving...Seward or Whittier?

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
839 posts
863 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three Days in Seward Area

Can't answer your last question, but I will highly recommend a visit to Exit Glacier. You can spend 2 hours or all day depending on what you decide to do there. The Salmon Bake restaurant is on the road that goes to Exit Glacier. On the day that we drove to Seward, we stopped at the Portage Glacier area where we took the one-hour boat ride (very nice!); we also walked the Byron Glacier Trail and visited the Beigh Boggs Visitor Center. Our favorite activity at Seward was the 7 1/2 boat tour to Kenai Fjords NP.

Ohio
Level Contributor
253 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three Days in Seward Area

If you purchase the Northern Lights or Toursaver coupon book, you can get the Major Marine Kenai Fjords Cruise buy 1 get 1 free--also the Major Marine Cruise in Whittier. Millers Landing also has a kayak trip listed in the Toursaver coupon book.

We enjoyed the walk to Exit Glacier and loved the more strenuous hike to the Harding Icefields--even if you only go a short distance on the Harding Icefields Trail, the views are really beautiful--on a clear day. You can also walk around Resurrection Bay on the Iditarod Trail--nice to walk after dinner downtown.

For a rainy day,many have said they enjoyed the Sealife Center. We planned to go there but ran out of time, and the weather was just too beautiful to be inside. A coupon also in Toursaver for buy 1/get 1 free.

www.toursaver.com

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,433 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three Days in Seward Area

Actually you are best to ask all your questions regarding the same trip/itinerary in one thread (see a Top Question about Alaska for the reasons). Otherwise we are asking you many of the same questions on multiple threads. Things like "Who is 'we' " and "What are your interests" and "What is your entire itinerary so we can put it in perspective." The regulars read the forum from the general Alaska forum so it is not needed to post questions in each specific forum with regard to the itinerary.

Edited: 8:36 am, August 14, 2013
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three Days in Seward Area

There is a Top Question here on the Seward forum regarding sea kayaking out near the glaciers, the water taxi out doubling as a sea life tour, if that is something that will interest you and your wife.

The Sea Life Center is nice, as are strolls along the bay on the walkways watching the sea otters, eagles, etc.

We always enjoy walking out onto the piers when the fishing boats come back in the evening to see the huge halibut hung for pictures.

You can drive out to Lowell Pt & there is an enhanced fishery to see salmon.

Walking out to Exit glacier would be one activity highly recommended. You can also hike up the Harding Ice field trail to the first overlook for the views.

Lots of restaurants for good food. I enjoy going to Resurrect Art the church turned into art shop/coffee shop.

Have fun.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three Days in Seward Area

Awesome suggestions. That's just what I needed. It sounds like we'll have plenty to do.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,827 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three Days in Seward Area

Typically (as in no guarantees) Seward day cruises are better for wildlife viewing and Whittier day cruises are better for glaciers (and calving). We (wife & another couple) recently did a small boat day cruise (Lazy Otter) out of Whittier and were amazed at the glaciers we saw (lots of calving).

If you are up for a very strenuous hike, then I'd "2nd" the previously mentioned HArding Icefield. It's free, takes most of the day (6 to 8 hours round-trip) and has amazing views/scenery. It should leave you in awe and tired enough to enjoy a slow, lazy dinner.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,547 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three Days in Seward Area

"Where would we have a better chance of seeing glaciers calving...Seward or Whittier?"

The Prince William Sound cruises out of Whittier focuses on glaciers with some wildlife. The Kenai Fjords cruises out of Seward focuses on wildlife with some glaciers.

not in japan yet
Level Contributor
127 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three Days in Seward Area

With regards to glaciers calving - I saw them both calve in Seward (Aialik glacier) and Whittier (26 glacier tour - I believe it was Surprise and another that calved). When we went, the calving activity was way more in seward, but the guide said it was abnormally active that day.

You mentioned kayaking - I HIGHLY recommend a kayak trip to Aialik bay/glacier! By far the best thing we did in Alaska! The water taxi ride was 2-3 hours long and had plenty of wildlife viewing opportunities. I found that the boat captain as well as the kayak guides on the taxi were knowledgeable and could point out lots of wildlife (not to the degree of detail of the park ranger onboard in Whittier, mind you). But when you get out to the glacier and get to kayak amid the harbor seals laying on the icebergs and see/hear the glaciers calve... magical!! We went with Liquid Adventures, but there were others- Kayaking Adventures Worldwide, Sunny Cove etc. that I believe had similar to identical itineraries.