We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended stopping points on the way south from Anchorage?

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
La Jolla, California
13 posts
Save Topic
Recommended stopping points on the way south from Anchorage?

Hello,

My parents and I will be visiting Alaska in July and we will be driving down from Denali to Seward in a day. I'm aware that this will take quite a while, and we plan to dedicate a full day to driving down.

That being said, are there any stopping points that you guys would recommend on the drive that would fit in our schedule? The one stop we currently have planned is some time on the Alyeska Tram ride. I have a copy of the Milepost but it is a mountain of information to wade through.

Thanks!

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,495 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended stopping points on the way south from Anchorage?

From Denali to Anchorage; North Denali View, Veteran's Memorial, Byers Lake, South Denali View, Talkeetna, The Iditarod Headquarters, Eklutna, you can visit all these on your way north too.

From Anchorage to Seward; Potter Marsh, Beluga Point, McHugh Creek, Girdwood, Portage Glacier, The Wildlife Conservation Center, Exit Glacier.

It will be a very long day of driving and a stop in Girdwood for a bit might make it more tolerable. You will not be able to stop for everything. Try to avoid driving through Anchorage from 3-6pm.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,337 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended stopping points on the way south from Anchorage?

As spacefry mentioned it is a long drive. I wouldn't necessarily alter my schedule so to make sure you don't hit Anchorage between 3 and 6 pm (our busiest traffic time). It's nothing like I-5 or a big city's traffic. From the Glenn Hwy (that's what you will be on coming from Denali), head south on Muldoon. Muldoon will turn into Tudor. From Tudor head south on the Seward Hwy.

It's about 6 or 7 miles via this route through Anchorage. If traffic is light it's about 15 minutes. If traffic is heavy it's about 25 to 30 minutes.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended stopping points on the way south from Anchorage?

Go to the ALASKA forum, and near the end of the Top Questions you'll find SCENIC DRIVES. The drives are very detailed and provide suggested stopping points for sights and scenery. There is a drive for Anchorage to Seward and Anchorage to Denali.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,656 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended stopping points on the way south from Anchorage?

To drive from Denali to Seward in a day is a LONG trip as it is about 350 miles. To go into Talkeetna add about another 30 miles. Cannot see where you will have time to visit anything. Why must you do this in just one day. Don't plan on driving as on an interstate highway.

5. Re: Recommended stopping points on the way south from Anchorage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 27, 2014