We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seward in May for Whale Migration Tour

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Wales...
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Seward in May for Whale Migration Tour

I'm trying to plan a trip to Seward to see the Gray Whale migration but can't seem to coordinate it with anything else. We prefer not to do a cruise and wanted to fly into Anchorage then take the train to Seward and stay at the Seward Windsong Lodge while we do a few day tours. Apparently the migration tour is from April to mid-May but the train from Anchorage doesn't run until mid-May through mid-Sept. Is that correct? Can anyone give me any help with the logistics of this? I guess we can rent a car in Anchorage and drive down to Seward and back. Any ideas would be appreciated especially from anyone who has actually done this.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,377 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seward in May for Whale Migration Tour

Who is "we" and how long do you have? What are your other interests? When in May are you planning on going? Have you read the first post in the Alaska forum about first-time posters? The more info you can give us up front, the better we can help you.

Renting a car will give you the most flexibility. Note that the gray whale tours may or may not see gray whales. When I took it one year, we ended up seeing quite a bit of marine wildlife, but no gray whales. We did see a humpback though.

It really depends on your interests, but early May is very much off-season. You will encounter snow for sure at higher elevations on the road to Seward and probably on most trails. The road to Exit Glacier won't be fully open by then.

When I went in early May one year I stayed at lower elevations. Did a little hiking along Turnagain Arm, took the gray whale boat tour (great even though we didn't see gray whales) and headed north of Anchorage on a day trip as well.

It is not a time of year I would recommend first-time visitors to go to Alaska. But it was nice in that there were few crowds, I love winter so cold, wintry weather in early May didn't bother me (it snowed driving along the pass driving to Seward). I wore a winter coat and hat, gloves and scarf on the boat tour. Most people were not well-dressed for it.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,933 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seward in May for Whale Migration Tour

We did this tour a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, it was at the end of the period and the whales were gone, except for the local orcas. Suggest you schedule your visit earlier in May or the end of April.

Note that this is all prior to the opening of the summer visitor season, so other activities may be limited.

3. Re: Seward in May for Whale Migration Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 21, 2014