We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stuck in Seward with no car?

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Stuck in Seward with no car?

Hi, my husband and I are taking a cruise from Vancouver to Seward in early July. We plan to stay 2 nights in Seward, drive to Anchorage, stay one night there, drop off the car, then fly home.

The problem is that there is no availability for a Hertz rental car for the first 24 hours we are in Seward (and no other rental car companies in Seward, correct?). We were thinking of staying at the Holiday Inn Express. I'm assuming there will be a shuttle from the port and if we do a tour, they can pick us up, but do we have any other options for getting around?

We are from NYC and are used to just hailing a cab to get around if needed. Are there cabs in Seward?

Thanks so much for your help!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stuck in Seward with no car?

Oh, and I don't mean "are there cabs" to sound patronizing...I just don't want to make assumptions that cabs are available 24/7. I did that in a small town in the mid-Atlantic once and it was not a good situation.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stuck in Seward with no car?

Seward is one of not many places on Kenai Peninsula where you won't have a problem getting around without your own transportation unless you want to get to some of trailheads if you're a hiker. You can walk with your luggage from your cruise to Holiday Inn Express. There are taxis and there are also several shuttle services. Call HI Express and ask them or wait for Glacierlady to give you more details. I know that Exit Glacier Guides have the shuttle to Exit Glacier. Check their website. I highly recommend a very scenic train from Seward to Anchorage. Once you get to Anchorage it depends where you want to stay, how much time you have and what time is your departure but you can easily get by without a car. If you want to go beyond Anchorage, for example, to Independence Mine, then you would need a car.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stuck in Seward with no car?

Yes, Seward is quite small. There's a lovely trail along the waterfront between the harbor and downtown, maybe 1 1/2 miles. And there are a couple of taxi companies, PJ's being the most popular on this forum. If you want to visit Exit Glacier there's a shuttle for $10 with Exit Glacier Guides.

The town's web site has loads of info (incl taxis) and maps of the town.

http://www.seward.com/

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,343 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stuck in Seward with no car?

Yup... Hertz is it.. no others.

Your not stuck at all...Taxis operate day and night with most fares around town only $5... much cheaper than renting a car!!

The Holiday Inn is a short block from the train depot, restaraunts, shops, and where the wildlife cruises depart. About 5 blocks from the cruise ship terminal.

I also recommend taking the train to Anc.. it will be cheaper after gas and the drop off fee and all can enjoy a relaxing ride.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stuck in Seward with no car?

You all are so helpful! I had considered taking the train, but it appears to leave only at 6:45 am. and we are not morning people! I was able to secure a rental car for our second day in Seward..for 3 full days and a drop off in Anchorage it would be $435.

It sounds like you think it would be better to take taxis/walk around Seward, take the train to Anchorage, and then rent a car there (if we need it at all.) The train would be about $200 and if we rented a car for 2 days in Anchorage, that would probably be about $200 (I'm guessing), so I'm not sure we would be saving money. Fuel is quite high in Alaska, though, I understand, so there's that to figure in, too.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stuck in Seward with no car?

If you are traveling from Seward to Anchorage the train leaves Seward for Anchorage at 6pm. It leaves Anchorage for Seward at 6:45am.

The Woodlands, Texas
Level Contributor
280 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stuck in Seward with no car?

The Coastal Classic train leaves in the evening around 6:30. The views are wonderful on this train ride. We've got reservations for the evening of June 8 to go to Anchorage. Adventure class fares are around $79.00 pp. There is an upper deck with what is called Gold Star Service which is more.

We, also, plan on being in Seward for one day without a car. We've rented one in Anchorage for one day for $96.++ (total) .

Edited: 11:46 pm, April 03, 2012
Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,343 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stuck in Seward with no car?

Anchorage departs 6:45am arrives Seward 11am

Seward 6pm arrives Anchorage 10:20pm

You can set a watch to the train whistle when it leaves. No need to be at the depot more than 30 mins in advance.

Not morning people.. but your in a different time zone and somewhere new...heehee

Gas expect $4.50 gallon if not more by summer.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stuck in Seward with no car?

I haven't taken the train but understand the scenery is spectacular. HOWEVER, the drive along the Turnagain Arm is also spectacular and there are a lot of sights and activities to enjoy. Perhaps include a detour to Cooper Landing to watch a little fishing activity on the Kenai River. You could even overnight in Girdwood (1 hr south of Anch) ,return the car and fly home. Decisions, decisions!

alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-s…

July 4 is a big deal in Seward. If you don't have lodging booked, do so asap.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stuck in Seward with no car?

We'll be on the cruise on July 4--wish we could be in Seward if it is a big deal there!

Thanks for the correct train info.

If we drove from Seward to Anchorage, is there a particularly scenic town we might want to spend the night in? So instead of 2 nights in Seward and 1 in Anchorage, we could stay 1 night in each place.