We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenai Fjords quick question

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amarillo TX
Level Contributor
452 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Kenai Fjords quick question

Hi All, I have read and read and was about to book a Major Marine tour for the Kenai Fjords - as they are having an early booking special. BUT - the difference between the 5 hr (noon till 5) and the 6 hr (1130 to 530) price is significant - nearly 1/2 the cost. Is that 1 hour worth it?? the 5 hrs says Resurrection Bay, and the 6 hrs says the Natl park plus Chiswell Islands or Cape Resurrection,

Is there that much difference? We've never been before if this helps!

Thanks for your help! We can't wait. We'll be there June 1st.

Deb

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,377 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenai Fjords quick question

Absolutely worth it. The 5 hour tour doesn't get out of the bay. Also, keep an eye out for other specials. Just a week or two ago I got the Kenai Fjords (the company) tour for half price by booking and paying early. My guess is that anything less than half off (or 2-for-1) is not the best deal you will find.

Amarillo TX
Level Contributor
452 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenai Fjords quick question

Thanks fti

I hadn't looked at them - because I thought the assigned seating was a good deal! but I will check them out!

Deb

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,377 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenai Fjords quick question

Some people like the assigned seating. I have been on KF's tours 3-4 times and have never had an issue. Personally I like choosing my own seat vs. being assigned a seat. I like to find a location I like and no one has ever moved my stuff to "take over" my seat once I was there. In fact, if someone tried to move my photo equipment, they would politely but firmly be told about it!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,377 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenai Fjords quick question

Out of curiosity, I checked majormarine's website. You should easily be able to get more than 20% off that Major Marine is offering you for "early booking."

Edited: 2:58 pm, December 23, 2011
Amarillo TX
Level Contributor
452 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenai Fjords quick question

fti, I actually emailed them and they responded very quickly. They say the 20% is the best they will have - and it expires on the 31st. Kanai Fjords only had a special on their 8.5 hr cruise - not their 6 hr. I had hoped to use toursaver coupons, but Maj Mar doesn't have one for their 6 hour - she said because it is their most popular. Oh well.

Deb

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,377 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kenai Fjords quick question

Totally up to you but paying $120/person with Major Marine or about $75-$95/person with Kenai Fjords would be a no brainer to me. Same route, similar boats. The main difference is that a wrap meal is included with KF, you must buy a buffet meal with MM if you want it (I heard it is excellent, but I am usually outside on deck so much during these tours that the food is way low on the priority scale for me).

KF has $50/person off with Northern Lights book, and I am sure there will be discounts in the coming months. You just have to keep your eyes peeled.

Amarillo TX
Level Contributor
452 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kenai Fjords quick question

HA! as soon as I saw those prices I jumped back to their site, and looked all over for those rates! then I finished reading your post! hahahh The 1130 departure is $144. - less the $50. would make it 94. Yup, about 26.00 cheaper excluding lunch. I picked up the toursaver book - and no coupons there - and now looking at Northern lights, it's only good for 2 people, so when I add it all up, I would still save about $28.00 - not including lunch. I wonder if we can carry a lunch on Maj Marine in our back pack??

I'll talk it over with husband - see if he has a preference. If we can carry on lunch - the price is close!

Deb

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,377 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kenai Fjords quick question

You can definitely carry food onto either boat. So you have more than 2 of you?

You still might be able to find a better deal than $50/person off.

Seward, Alaska
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kenai Fjords quick question

The Hotelsewardalaska.com has a room w/ a cruise option w/ KFT if you have not booked a hotel yet.

Amarillo TX
Level Contributor
452 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kenai Fjords quick question

Tim C - bummer, I just booked the best western edgewater yesterday - I'm a state employee so I got an ok rate.

fti - yes, this trip is my sons college graduation present! So there are 3 of us!