We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to store luggage

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Where to store luggage

My husband and I will be disembarking early morning from our cruise ship. We would like to take the 6:30 pm train to Anchorage but have no place to store our luggage for the day. Any suggestions?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,436 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to store luggage

Where (what port/town) are you getting off of the cruise ship at?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,305 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to store luggage

I assume since they are posting in the Seward forum that they dock in Seward.

My question is what are they doing that day before taking the 6pm train. That will allow us to give better options for luggage storage.

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to store luggage

Since we have approximately 9 hours in Seward before boarding the train to Anchorage, we thought we might take the 4-1/2 hr Kenai Fjords Tour that departs at noon. Or, would it be easier to just store our luggage somewhere and hang out in Seward? Thanks for your help.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,305 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to store luggage

I generally don't recommend the shorter Kenai Fjords tours because they don't get out of the bay. I took one in April before the longer tours were offered, but you are much better off taking a 6 hour tour - departs at 11.30am and returns in time for the evening train. It is an excellent use of your time in Seward and you will see a lot of marine wildlife, but you will get closer to a glacier than your cruise ship does (with the tours <6 hours you don't get close to a glacier).

In any case, the Kenai Fjords tour company would store your luggage for you if you take their tour.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to store luggage

You can drop off your luggage at the train depot anytime after 8am on cruiseship days.... (10am non ship days)

Make sure you take with anything you might need.... books, meds, etc. Once you hand over your luggage you will not see it again till Anc at 10:30pm.

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to store luggage

Thank you so much.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to store luggage

Your welcome!

You have time to go to Exit Glacier and/or the Sealife Center before a 11:30- 5:30 cruise.. which gets you back just in time for the train.

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to store luggage

Again, thank you. By the way, is the train far from the cruise ship dock area?

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to store luggage

About 1/2 mile, walkable without tons of luggage and if it's not raining. $5 taxi ride and you can have the driver wait to take you wherever else you want.. usually included.

Wildlife cruise dock ( small boat harbor) and train depot are 2 long blocks apart.. walkable which is also faster than waiting for the 2 block shuttle bus to load n unload.

a very important note from your orginal post.... the train departs exactly at 6pm

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to store luggage

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!