We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still need ideas

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton, MI
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Still need ideas

Hi. Our trip starts and ends in Anchorage from Aug 4-10. We have booked an RV and would like to stay within a 180 mile radius of Anchorage. We are traveling with two tweenagers that really enjoy hands-on outdoor activities. One has a heart problem which can cause fatigue, so we have to be able to take timely breaks. Areas of interest are Anchorage, Seward, Homer, Denali. Specific questions are: 1)best RV parking--do we need reservations 2)recommended restaurants-- without the tourist atmosphere 3)any itinerary suggestion for travel and stops along the way? I'm having a difficult time getting things to gel.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Still need ideas

I think RV's are a great option for familys.Buy the Milepost book. It gives you mile by mile detailed info, available most book stores. There are many places you can pull over to take a break,pics etc.

Seward is 125 miles south of Anch,3 hours travel time. Take your time driving to Seward,look for whales and Dall sheep along Turnagain arm. Maybe stop at the Alaska big game conservation center near Portage,and/or Portage glacier itself.

Seward has a great city campground along the waterfront. They don't take reservations. The Sealife Center and Exit Glacier are both worthwhile. Wildlife cruises, fishing, kayaking,bike rentals, and 2 kinds of dog sledding are a few more things to do. Exit Glacier Salmon bake is my favorite restaurant.

Homer is 180 miles,4 hours from Seward. I personally don't feel there is a whole lot there to make the trip worthwhile other than saying you've been there.(Sorry Homerites)

Head up north towards Denali instead either before or after Seward. Wasilla has the Iditarod headquarters,maybe stop at Talkeetna. Flight seeing and rafting very popular.Take the shuttle into the park. The Milepost will also list alot of the campgrounds, have advertisements on the local areas etc.

Stock up on food and supplies while in Anchorage. Plan on taking lots of time driving as there is always road delays. But most important is to enjoy your family time here and take lots of pictures!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,523 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Still need ideas

Well, I have 2 favorite areas I'll mention, as Glacier Lady covered Seward well - that is one of my favorite places to visit during the summer, by the way. Quaint town right by the ocean.

I would suggest heading up the Glenn Hiway to the Matanuska Glacier - it's about 120 miles out of Anchorage (can't remember exact miles). Gorgeous scenery, and you can have a great meal at Sheep Mtn Lodge, a bit further up the hwy. You can explore the Palmer area - Musk ox farm, and buy some local produce - they grow HUGE veggies.

Also, go up to Hatcher Pass (Palmer/Wasilla area) Old gold mining area, and some incredible views.

Denali Park is actually further away than your radius - it's about 240 miles from Anchorage, but there are lots of great places to camp on the way up. Byers Lake is one of our favorites, which is in Denali State Park area. Also, if you do decide to come to Denali Nat'l Park, there are campgrounds both in the Park, and near the entrance.

As suggested, the Milepost will be a big help to you and the state campgrounds are usually the best in most parts. If you do decide to come to Denali, there is lots for tweens to do - go visit a local dog musher, go for a raft trip, hike, golf, etc. I hope this helps you some. Good luck w/your continued planning! :)

Brighton, MI
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Still need ideas

Thank you for your thoughtful suggestions. With regards to Homer, we are meeting non-Alaskan relatives there to go fishing...sorry I forgot to mention it.

I am almost ready to post an itinerary and am interested in your thoughts on it as well. At this point, I am focusing on Anchorage as we will be there for two days. In my earlier browsing I read about a "salmon ladder" in Anchorage. I haven't come across a mention of it since... do you know anything of its location?

Thanks...

New York
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Still need ideas

Your trip sounds wonderful.

We are planning, along with 2 other couples, to rent RV's in the summer of 2007. Can you tell me who you're renting from? The amount of rental companies is overwhelming Thanks so much and have a wonderful trip!

Judi