We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seward or Anchorage?

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Temple, TX
Level Contributor
270 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Seward or Anchorage?

Here is early stages plans

August 26 - HAL cruise - Vancouver to Seward

Sept. 2 - Arrive Seward 6:00 a.m.

Take Kenai Fjords cruis

Sept 3 Have rented car in Anchorage

THANKS for the great advice on renting early!!

Great deal for 5 days with Hertz - K Street location.

Sept 4 Denali

Sept 5 Denali

Sept 6 Denali

Sept 7 6:30 p.m. - Fly to Seattle

Sept 8 1:40 p.m. - Fly home

MY QUESTION: Should we stay in Seward and take the bus to Anchorage in the morning or should we take the train and then get the car earlier.

Need recommendations on where to stay for both Seward and Anchorage. If we take the train, it will be late, so we really will just need a clean place to sleep. Is there something like that near the Hertz rental location?

If we stay in Seward, need suggestions there too.

Thanks!

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,656 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seward or Anchorage?

If you want to do the Kenai Fjords cruise the bus or train leaves in the evening following the cruise.

As for inexpensive accommodations at the downtown Hertz office don't count on it. It is across the street (K st) from the expensive Captain Cook. The Rodeway Inn is across the street and is less expensive (formerly the Voyager).

If it were me I would take the cruise line shuttle to downtown Anchorage. go pick up the car, and get out of town.

New York
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seward or Anchorage?

How do you wish to spend your time??? both locations have excellent touring features, that only you can decide how you wish to spend the time.

www.anchorage.net www.seward.com have detailed information for you to review.

But how do you figure you can pick up the car "earlier"?? Any significant time/date change is going to change the reservation- unless you double booked? The cheapest rentals are downtown with limited office hours, if that is what you took advantage of??

Temple, TX
Level Contributor
270 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seward or Anchorage?

I booked with Hertz downtown (K Street) for 10:30 a.m. pick up on Monday, Sept. 3. I realize this is Labor Day,but there was no indication that the office would not be open.

I found akcruiseshuttle and it has a shuttle (2.5 hours) from Seward to Anchorage leaving at 6:00 p.m. and getting to Anchorage at 8:30 p.m.

I have made a reservation at the Alaska Grand hotel (I think that is the name. I don't have the reservation before me -- for $99.00 for one night, which I thought was a good price for Anchorage.

We were thinking about taking a tour of Kenai Fjords National Park -- 6 hours -- 8:00 a.m. on Sunday. Our HAL ship arrives at 6:00 a.m.

We like hiking and outdoors. Not much on shopping.

I didn't make myself clear. Would it be better to go straight to Anchorage and pick up the car on Sunday and start out for Denali or do the Kenai Fjords tour. I realize it is hard to tell someone what to do, but is the tour worth it just coming off the HAL cruise? I have read reviews and they seem good, but just wanted to ask the question. I feel better now that I have found what appears from reviews a clean room for the night in Anchorage at a reasonable price.

Also is the train a must or would the "point A to point B" shuttle do as well? They are very reasonable and have had good reviews and after a day at Kenai Fjords, we will probably just want to get to the hotel at a reasonable hour.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,656 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seward or Anchorage?

As for the train it passes through an area not accessible by road, that being from Moose Pass to Portage. Included is the Spencer Glacier. The rest of the route more or less follows the Seward Highway.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seward or Anchorage?

I think most people would recommend the Kenai cruise since you have the time, but it really depends on your interests and priorities for this vacation. What is your cruise itinerary and which excursions are you taking? If you have a strong interest in glaciers, sealife, wildlife, and scenery, the cruise is fantastic! But if you're stopping at Glacier Bay and doing a whale watching cruise, maybe that's enough for you. Hard for anyone to judge your interest level.

If you have iffy weather and choose not to take the Kenai cruise that day, there's plenty to do in Seward....take a taxi to Exit Glacier and walk to the face of it, visit the SeaLife Center, wander around the harbor, walk to town along the waterfront trail.

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
184 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seward or Anchorage?

The Kenai Cruise offers more than the Big Cruise with Hal when it comes to being close to the marine wildlife. We have been back in Aussieland for a few weeks having cruised AK and spent 12 days driving around. We did the Prince William Sound Cruise, Kenai Cruise as well as cruising from Whittier to Vancouver. Do as much as your budget will allow. My husband and I really enjoyed the lovely town of Seward and our stay of 3 nights was not long enough.We stayed at the Holiday Inn (which we booked thru Expedia here on TA) and were overjoyed at the local otter frolicking in the water just off our balcony. It is a really pretty place and deserves a look and a walk around.

7. Re: Seward or Anchorage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, October 27, 2012