We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking in Cold Rain?

Durham, North...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking in Cold Rain?

We'll be in Seward for some kayaking over the next week. Unfortunately, the weather forecast looks like mid-30s and rain mixed with snow. Anyone with any experience like this or any guesses as to how miserable it may be? Or is it still fun?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,639 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking in Cold Rain?

Well, if this helps - we never have a warm rain - even in July. Just add another layer of fleece under that rain jacket! :)

Seward, Alaska
Level Contributor
212 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking in Cold Rain?

I guess I should be the one to tell you....the weather changes here quickly and weather men and women are just as bad at predicting weather as as they are anywhere else...I am familiar with kayaking here and we watch the weather from several sources...this week weatherbug had snow predicted for Seward...it has been drizziling a bit...but no snow...

Wear good rain gear...layer with a base or two of synthetic layers, and use a waterproof jacket with a hood...you will be pretty solid...and wear wool socks and paddle in boots...with those wool socks and you will be smiling..

Rick Adventure Sixty North

Alaska
Level Contributor
542 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking in Cold Rain?

All you have to convince yourself is: It's just weather. And as this may be your first (??) and only (??) trip to Alaska, take advantage of all you can do....it will still be fun! Or at least, an adventure! If I have a plan to go out hiking or paddling and it turns out to be a nasty, rainy, 40 degree day...I still do it! Summer's too short here to sit inside just because the weather's crappy.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,639 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking in Cold Rain?

So true - we just get out and enjoy! :)

Seward, Alaska
Level Contributor
212 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayaking in Cold Rain?

You dont have bad weather / You have bad gear...is what we say and it is so true...we enjoy this state 12 months a year...snow rain,ice..sun...we go and do..

Rick Adventure Sixty North

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kayaking in Cold Rain?

The only thing I will add to the earlier advice is try to get a pair of neoprene gloves along with the kayak. I have a pair and find them quite handy in weather where my hands are exposed to wet and cold.

Otherwise you are inside the kayak, under the spray skirt, and the good rain gear should do well by you. Even in the summer the kayakers have to be prepared for cold conditions. The sea never warms up.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kayaking in Cold Rain?

It's challenging adjusting layers when kayaking of course. I go with synthetic long john bottoms & top as a base layer unless it is hot out. And always a thin polypro hat under my helmet.

For me, the crucial piece is the choice of gloves. I have waterproof breathable gloves that I wear over polypro glove liners and a thicker, warmer waterproof glove with fleece lining from which to choose. If my hands get wet & cold it is miserable no matter if I am backpacking, hiking or kayaking. But then if my waterproof layer is not breathable, it would also be miserable LOL! Same with my waterproof breathable pants & jacket. The hood on my jacket is important too.

Edited: 10:40 am, May 18, 2011
New England
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kayaking in Cold Rain?

My newest favorite piece of rain gear is a baseball style rain hat. I can adjust it to fit over a polar fleece hat if needed and can pull my hood over it to keep rain off my neck. I always found that my hood either blocked my vision or slipped off. We have had a rainy spring here in NE and this hat has been a wonderful addition for walks and hikes. It will certainly be making the trip to Alaska this summer. I purchased mine on line at EMS.

9. Re: Kayaking in Cold Rain?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, May 18, 2011
pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
305 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kayaking in Cold Rain?

Spent 5 days last summer in pouring rain. Everyone above has given you great advice. You just have to have good gear and a better attitude. Layers layers layers and use neoprene gloves. I have paddled Aialik in perfect sunshine and downpours, and it's amazing how different the area looks with the different weather. My theory this past year was 5 rainy days in the Kenai was better then sunshine and no humidity in Jersey. Go out and have fun. You might want to invest in some kind of waterproof camera bag because you will still want to take a ton of pictures.