We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what's the difference in the 3hr, 6hr and 9hr Kenai cruises?

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
what's the difference in the 3hr, 6hr and 9hr Kenai cruises?

These cruises are very popular with travellers so this question is asked frequently. It could be one of the TOP QUESTIONS ABOUT ALASKA ! If you've taken one of these trips, please share your thoughts on what makes each of these cruises different.

As for me, I've attempted the 6 hr cruise three times; twice we had rough seas so it became a 3 hr Bay cruise. But the one time we DID make it out, was spectacular. Clear blue sky, calm sea, we heard and saw the glacier calving, icebergs, whales, eagles, sea lions. Absolutely spectacular !

I found the 3 hr Bay cruise disappointing. But then again I'm from the Pacific NW so the scenery around the bay wasn't anything new. Rocky coast, trees, mountains, eagles, seals. Don't get me wrong; it's very lovely. Perhaps in nice weather I would have enjoyed it more, but it was cold, windy and raining. Plus I really wanted to see icebergs and calving.

carol

Edited: 10:45 pm, February 20, 2010
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: what's the difference in the 3hr, 6hr and 9hr Kenai cruises?

>>>May want to check time of year as well. I think they head south in winter.<<<

They definitely head to warmer waters in the winter, to birth their young. Humpbacks are now seen in the waters around Hawaii.

62. Re: what's the difference in the 3hr, 6hr and 9hr Kenai cruises?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:09 pm, January 08, 2014
Edited: 4:09 pm, January 08, 2014
bedford
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: what's the difference in the 3hr, 6hr and 9hr Kenai cruises?

Von, Actually the Saltwater lodge is in Seward for the Kenai Fjords tour.

http://www.alaskasaltwaterlodge.com

Our full day Small Group Whale Watching, Wildlife, Natural History, and Glacier Tour ventures deep into Kenai Fjords National Park.

just called them and they will go to Aialik, Holgate, Northwestern Glacier (mostly Ailak or holgate).

Interesting conversation with one of the captains. But of course they want to sell their spot.

BUT question for you guys…forgetting the "time" that you are out on the water, because the smaller boat tour is the same amt of time (8.5 to 9 hours) but they may not go all the way to the Northwestern Glacier.

In ya'll's opinion - is there a preference seeing one glacier over the other. He commented that the Northwestern is not calving as much as the other two.

(Also was posting here as I figure this is all related - not specific to an itinerary)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: what's the difference in the 3hr, 6hr and 9hr Kenai cruises?

I guess I wasn't sure what the apparent typo was and thought it was Whittier. I'll delete my comment.

london
Level Contributor
381 posts
Save Reply
65. Re: what's the difference in the 3hr, 6hr and 9hr Kenai cruises?

sorry to jump in

for the major marine 5hr nature tour-they seem to have a free deal on now for kids,..

this seems great as would be around 220$ all in(2adults 3kids 5,9,12yrs),but wondering if this gives us no chance of seeing whales as it doesnt go out of the bay?are we better paying a bit more and doing the 6hr tour?thanks

66. Re: what's the difference in the 3hr, 6hr and 9hr Kenai cruises?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 12, 2015