We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in Seward

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
74 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay in Seward

Hi,

We will be driving from Anchorage to Seward and are looking for a place to stay. We have 5 days so I was thinking first drive to Seward, next day take glacier dog sled tour and then either stay a second night in seward or drive towards Homer and stay a night, then Homer 2 nights and then stay close to Anchorage for the last night. We really want to see nature and wildlife( we are going to Kodiak Island for 4 days before this). Any recommendations will be appreciated. It all looks so lovely , we are very excited to get out to wide open spaces. We love to take photos as well.

Any and all itinerary and lodging, food recommendations will be deeply appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Homer
Homer
Alaska
Level Contributor
595 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay in Seward

I stayed at the Harbor View Inn in Seward. It was fine and you could walk either to town or the harbor from there. There is also a Holiday Inn Express that they were just finishing during my visit there. It is down in the harbor. I have not stayed there, so can't comment on it. In Homer, I stayed at a B & B, which was too far from town and I wished that I had kept my reservation at the Ocean Shores Hotel which was right in town and got good reviews. The Lands End Hotel is also nice and has a great restaurant with great views. Boardwalk Fish & Chips on the Spit is good for a casual meal. I have heard that Fat Olives is good food too. Enjoy yyour trip.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,449 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay in Seward

Exit Glacier is a great place to easily walk up to a glacier. Free ranger led walks at 10am, 2pm and 4pm daily.

Godwin Glacier is in my eyes the best thing to do in Seward. I love flying esp in a helicopter! :) You'll love it!

The Sealife Center is another good place to visit.

Wildlife cruises into Kenai Fjords National Park is a top attraction. Do 6-9 hours to get out of Resurrection bay and more chances of wildlife with a stop at a glacier. The smaller boats such as with SaltWater Lodge offer a much more personalized tour. Even better do a combo fishing/wildlife.

Kayaking is also very popular with many companies to choose from.

The big game conservation center on the drive down which is near Portage Glacier, another place you can stop at.

My favorite lodging in Seward is www.alaskasaltwaterlodge.com 3 gravel miles south of Seward at Lowell Point. It has an awesome unobstructed view of the bay/mountains. There are many other places and different areas in Seward to stay. If you give me some ideas of what your looking for I could offer some more suggestions.

Thorn's Showcase Lounge has great halibut chunks and a menu including steaks, bbq ribs and daily specials.

The Salmon Bake on Exit Glacier road has a cute rustic log type decor with good food too.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i10631-Things_t…

Mentioned in this post
Exit Glacier
Exit Glacier
671 Reviews
Kenai Fjords National Park, AK
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Alaska SeaLife Center
Alaska SeaLife Center
2,675 Reviews
Seward, AK
Kenai Fjords National Park
Kenai Fjords National...
1,368 Reviews
Seward, AK
Thorn's Showcase Lounge
Thorn's Showcase Lounge
513 Reviews
Seward, AK
Florida
Level Contributor
154 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay in Seward

We stayed at the Holiday Inn. I especailly liked it because there was no need to drive when we wanted to do something. Lots of restaurants and many boats to watch along with the seagulls and eagles.We never had to fight for a place to park.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
74 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay in Seward

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Glacier lady , I looked at your list. WOW. We booked the 10 am Godwin glacier tour. We will be in Seward 3 days so here is what I am thinking-let me know what you think of the itinerary please.

day 1- 10 am Godwin Glacier tour and then come back and go to Exit Glacier.

Day 2 Wildlife cruises into Kenai Fjords National Park. Is the entire day Major marine tours the one that you recommend?

Day 3 The Sealife Center and drive to the next place.( we don't know where yet so any recommendations?) We are thinking Homer or Valdez, We only have 2 more night and then we fly home.

We are spending the first 5 days on Kodiak 3 bear watching and 1 driving around.

We love being out in nature, animals and we don't really like groups or very touristy things. Small good restaurants and activities are great.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Exit Glacier
Exit Glacier
671 Reviews
Kenai Fjords National...
1,368 Reviews
Seward, AK
Alaska SeaLife Center
Alaska SeaLife Center
2,675 Reviews
Seward, AK
Valdez
Valdez
Alaska
Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,449 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay in Seward

It looks good to me.

Are you driving down the night before for the 10am Godwin? You could do the Sealife Center next and then a nice evening stroll at Exit Glacier to maximize your stay a bit more if your not worn out. Each aprox 2 hours for an average.

Cooper Landing is a very pretty area that you drive through on the way to Homer. You can do horseback riding and/or a float trip on your way. Homer would be alot easier on you than a marathon driving trip to Valdez.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska SeaLife Center
Alaska SeaLife Center
2,675 Reviews
Seward, AK
Exit Glacier
Exit Glacier
671 Reviews
Homer
Homer
Alaska
Valdez
Valdez
Alaska
Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,449 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay in Seward

Sorry missed one... I wish we could preview the post and see what the questions are before actually submitting the answer ..lol Tripadvisor.. helloooooo

Yes....Major Marine is my favorite for the larger boat cruises into Kenai Fjords National Park. They are the only one with reserved seating and a prime rib/salmon buffet.

Mentioned in this post
Kenai Fjords National...
1,368 Reviews
Seward, AK
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
74 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay in Seward

We will be spending the night before in Seward. I think your suggestions are great. We will do as you suggested and add Sealife to the same day and Exit Glacier in the evening. Sounds perfect.

We decieded that Valdez is too far and we want to focus on 1 part so we will drive to Homer.

We are thinking 1 night in Homer and the last day drive late back to Anchourage.

What is the float trip that you are talking about? I will go look up Cooper Landing now and will book the boat trip.

Thank you so much!!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Exit Glacier
Exit Glacier
671 Reviews
Valdez
Valdez
Alaska
Homer
Homer
Alaska
Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,449 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay in Seward

alaskariveradventures.com/scenic-raft-trips.…

Level Contributor
595 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay in Seward

While you are on Kodiak, you might want to do a dinner cruise with Galley Gourmet. The food is all homemade and it's a nice evening out on the water. I really enjoyed it when I went.

east texas
Level Contributor
163 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay in Seward

We also will be in Seward in Sept 08, We will be there on Sept 6th-8th coming from Homer. I read glacierladys itinerary and suggestions for the Godwin Glacier Tours. We will be in Alaska for 3 weeks and have a helicopter flightseeing tour scheduled on the 13th of Sept in Denali with a glacier landing at Mt. McKinley. After reading about the Godwin Glacier landing I am wanting to do that also. Can you tell me what the advantages of the Godwin Glacier is. I know this will be the last trip to Alaska and we want to make sure we dont leave anything out that we wished we had done or seen. We spent 10 days in Alaska in 03 and did not do a lot of things because of the cost but this time we will not make that mistake. WE dont want to get home and say we should have done that. So what do you think? Should we do that tour or is the one on Mt. McKinley enough. Thanks for your help and suggestions. Margie

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Denali
Denali
2,188 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK