We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seward to Kenai

Sydney , Australia
Level Contributor
109 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
seward to Kenai

Help arriving july the 4th and planned to hire a car to drive to Homer but have been told hertz is the only car hire in Seward and they are booked out . Have found a bus co and emailed them re service running on what I assume is a public holiday but no response What else can we do. Have booked accomodation and paid in Home If no other alternative will have to stay in Seward and cancel homer

Thanks in anticipation

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: seward to Kenai

G'day, clegge20, welcome!

The only transport between Seward and Homer is by bus. Was this the one you were looking at: http://www.homerstageline.com/ ? I believe it will be running a regular schedule on July 4, so hopefully there will be room for you. How long ago did you e-mail them?

And yes, Hertz is the only rental car company in Seward. I assume you're arriving by cruiseship? Another possibility is to use your cruiseship's shuttle to get to Anchorage and rent a car from there, lots of rental companies to choose from but book soon as that's a busy season.

Homer is a 4 hour drive from Seward, and a 5 hour drive from Anchorage.

Sydney , Australia
Level Contributor
109 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seward to Kenai

Thanks for the info. Will try to ring them perhaps to double check.

Sydney , Australia
Level Contributor
109 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: seward to Kenai

Just updating - rang Homer Stage Line today and finally got through - not running July the 4th - just in case anyone else needs to Know.

Still have the same problem cnnot get to Kenai where we have accomodation booked _ Help

Thanks anyway

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,317 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: seward to Kenai

First, I'm a little confused. Your original post said you were trying to get to Homer. This last post said going to Kenai. Both are on the Kenai Pennisula but the towns are at least 75 km apart.

Either way, you still have a couple of options. The first is to spend the night in Seward and pick up a car the next day. They do have some vans available starting on July 5th though they are expensive. The second option would be to reserve a car in Anchorage and take the cruise bus back there to pick it up and drive back down the pennisula.

Either way, I would make car reservations in Seward AND in Anchorage immediately while you are deciding since there are very few rentals left. You can then cancel what you don't need after you've made your decision. Also, you can recheck Seward a couple of times a week. You may pick up someone else's cancellation, you never know.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,653 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: seward to Kenai

You might have a hard time finding lodging in Seward July 4th. Still, book the cars as was mentioned ASAP.

John

6. Re: seward to Kenai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, September 26, 2009