We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What not to miss

Trenton, Florida
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What not to miss

Flying to Anc. Tues 3pm Driving to Seward will be there till Mon. Planning on hallibut fishing one day and 1/2 day tour sat Major Marine tours or will i need this tour after fishing? Is there enough day trips in and out of Seward or do i need to plan a overnite in between like to Soldotna? Can't see it all but don't want to miss something. Thanks

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What not to miss

I think Seward will be delightful without all the tourists.

On the way down, look to see if the swans are on Potter Marsh, just south of Anchorage. They stop by this time of year.

milebymile.com/main/United_States/Alaska/Sta…

Girdwood has a great coffee shop/bakery right on the highway. The Tide Water Slough has moose- in fact, there are a couple of sloughs in which to see moose along the way.

Turnagain Pass is a beautiful stretch spot with porta-potties too.

The whole ride down is one of the most beautiful anywhere.

milebymile.com/main/United_States/Alaska/Sta…

Tern Lake is another great pull-over & photo opt.

Get a Milepost for your drives.

Trenton, Florida
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: What not to miss

Thanks MM I'll check into those places. I'll bring a lot of warm weather with us from Florida! Just going to play the trip by ear and like you said go where the wind goes! Dosen't take a lot to entertain us. Thanks Again

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: What not to miss

Hi again. Just wondering if Holiday Inn would allow you to cancel one night without too much penalty?

If so, what you might do is leave Thurs. morning and drive to Homer (4 hrs), stay overnight, and drive back to Seward Friday afternoon or early evening. You’ll be too early for the Shorebird Festival which starts May 8, but if you’re interested in birds, you should see lots. Fishing is great there too, and if you don’t want another charter, you could rent a pole and drop a line in the Fishing Hole on the spit. Other activities: Pratt Museum (open noon to 5 pm), Islands and Ocean visitor center (10 am to 5 pm), lots of galleries, beachcomb, tidepool, hike, maybe rent a water taxi to take you to Gull Island or across Kachemak Bay. Also two more chances for sled dog tours:

Sterling (Ididaride, info on the Seward website) and Homer http://www.kachemaksleddogkennel.com/services

Anyway, here’s info on Homer in case you want to check it out: http://akms.com/htguide/

Trenton, Florida
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: What not to miss

MM and Deniliacat thanks for the info maybe if we run out of things to do we'll go to Homer for a day and spend the night. We'll be sure to look at those places on the way from anc.

Bellingham
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: What not to miss

Hi Bluebill

Not sure if you're checking in to TripAdvisor while you're up there in Seward but a fun day trip that I did last year early in the spring was a hike and picnic out at Caines Head State Recreation Area. I took Seward Water Taxi out in the morning, hiked up to the bunker at Fort McGillvray, had some lunch overlooking the stunning view and did some more hiking in the afternoon. They picked me up again in the evening. I know you can hike out there at low tide but the tides weren't right for me at the time and I wanted to spend a full day out there.

16. Re: What not to miss

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, September 26, 2009