We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Alaska May 10 thru 18

Greater Washington...
Level Contributor
234 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Alaska May 10 thru 18

Hello everyone!

A friend and I just booked her birthday trip to Anchorage, Alaska from May 10 thru May 18.

I dont have a set itinerary yet but Seward and of course Anchorage are on my "sight seeing" list.

I am interested in anything outdoors besides camping and I especially love hiking and FOOD. Unfortunately I cannot ride a bike so all bike trails/tours are out for me.

I'm looking for any and ALL advice possible (driving tips, best things to see and do, places to eat, etc.) so all feedback in appreciated!

Thanks!

None
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Alaska May 10 thru 18

Hello Coco,

I'm not sure what to tell you about Anchorage but I can tell you that there are many things to do in Seward. Here are a few...

Sled Dog Tours, Hiking (several different options here from low key cake walks to extreme), kayaking, Heli-tours, Sight seeing from a boat and more.

If you are looking for a place to start I would suggest looking at the Seward Chamber of Commerce for some resources. Just realize there are many businesses that aren't members of the Chamber so there are more than those listed there, but it is a great place to start.

As for the hiking, you can do guided hikes (there are a couple in Seward that offer them), or take off on your own. The National Park Service office on 4th avenue has a rack full of information sheets on hikes that you won't find listed on the internet or in some books. These sheets tell you when the trail is usually open and when it closes (if it does), what the elevation gain is, what type of animals you may see or come across, length of the hike (miles), difficulty (easy, moderate difficult), and where the trail head is located.

As to food, you will be coming into town just as most of the businesses (that close for the winter season) open back up. Food depends a lot on your taste. What may be my favorite place to eat may not be yours, there is also the cost consideration. Do realize that in early May most of the places to eat may not be open as late as they would be in June, July and August so check for hours.

Malea

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,404 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Alaska May 10 thru 18

I responded on your other post. Let me know if you need more help/ideas.

A couple more tips...If your going to be driving make sure to get a copy of the Milepost Book. It has great detailed mile by nile info.

There are 2 discount coupon books ...Toursaver and Northern Lights.

Greater Washington...
Level Contributor
234 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Alaska May 10 thru 18

Thanks to you both! The feedback is appreciated.

As far as food goes, I like just about anything except for Greek and Indian and I'm especially a seafood lover so any restaurants you'd recommend I'd be open to.

The hiking info & dog sleding sounds great; i'll definitely check into it!

4. Re: Visiting Alaska May 10 thru 18

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, September 19, 2009