We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaskan cruises with teenage boys

Rockville
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Alaskan cruises with teenage boys

My husband and I are considering taking an Alaskan cruise this summer prior to our oldest goes off to college. Anyone out there cruised with teenagers? What cruiselines seem to be the best in terms of activities offered? Do any of the cruises offer any natural history lectures/info? Sorry, I'm a nerd at heart.

Any input greatly appreaciated.

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaskan cruises with teenage boys

For the combination of activities for teens and naturalists/lecturers, Princess is the clear winner. Other lines have one or the other but not both.

Murray

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaskan cruises with teenage boys

I not only cruise with a teenager but cruised AS a teenager... :) Both of mine were on RC and were great. I was disappointed as far as the lectures went. For the Med. cruise, only one man was hired. All three of his lectures were very good, but I wished there would have been more on a twelve day cruise. Our cruise the Caribbean had no lectures at all (seven days).

My cousins went on a Holland cruise to the Baltic Sea, and said that the youth stuff was great. If I were to cruise the SE on a mega-ship, it would most likely be on Holland.

I was very disappointed with our excursions with RC, which were very over exaggerated in the descriptions and occasionally flat out untrue. Getting a good guide was basically a toss-up; only half of our ten guides on our Med cruise were any good, and our guide at Tulum was pitiful. My advice for your Alaskan trip is to do it on your own or at least not through the cruise line.

Whether you want to cruise in Alaska is another question. From my experience, you should go on a cruise if the activities on the boat are the most important thing to you. If exploring Alaska is your #1, I would think twice before going for a mega-ship cruise.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the Alaska forum.

Kristian

Rockville
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaskan cruises with teenage boys

Thank you!

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaskan cruises with teenage boys

>>From my experience, you should go on a cruise if the activities on the boat are the most important thing to you. If exploring Alaska is your #1, I would think twice before going for a mega-ship cruise.<<

I very much disagree - for many folks, cruising is a great way to have a totally relaxing holiday while seeing a bit of Alaska. You'd be hard-pressed to keep teenagers amused on any trip you organized yourself - an RV with video games is just no match for the climbing wall on the Radiance :) If you enjoy what you see (and excursions are the key to seeing the real Alaska while cruising - in most cases, book independently for the best experience, rather than through the cruiseline.

Murray

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaskan cruises with teenage boys

"Cruising is a great way to relax and see a bit of Alaska."

My point exactly. The ships are tons of fun, and you get to see some awesome stuff in Alaska as well. However, you will only see, as you said, "a bit". The limited hours in port and majority of the time spent on board simply means that the boat is the center of your vacation, and Alaska is just a (awesome) plus.

"You'd be hard-pressed to keep teenagers amused on any trip you organized yourself - an RV with video games is just no match for the climbing wall on the Radiance :)"

I think my life history is a pretty good argument against that. : D If a kid can't appreciate a several thousand trip to the high-points of Alaska without video games or other entertainment, something is wrong. Sounds like some pretty expensive video game time.

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaskan cruises with teenage boys

>>If a kid can't appreciate a several thousand trip to the high-points of Alaska without video games or other entertainment, something is wrong.<<

Absolutely right - something is wrong. But I've heard enough teens bitching about being bored up here to know the reality.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaskan cruises with teenage boys

"If exploring Alaska is your #1, I would think twice before going for a mega-ship cruise."

I agree with that up to a point; however, most people who go to Alaska for the first time really aren't really sure what to expect. A cruise is a terrific introduction! For some, the port sightseeing is enough, and they go home satisfied. For others, they just don't "get" Alaska and at least they can enjoy the activies and crusing on the ship (a lot of people stay aboard ship in the ports). And then there are those of us become hungry for more, and plan more trips.

And don't forget that most people see the inside passage only by cruiseship. I know a few posters here fly or ferry between some of the cities, but for most people, if they didn't go on a cruise, they'd never see those cities. One of my favorite places to just wander around is Ketchikan--but I'd never go there by plane or ferry. Icy Strait Point either, though I loved that too. I would hate to have missed either of them, and plan to go back to both again (yes, on a cruise ship--I like the cruise experience!)

So I think we should encourage people to go to Alaska in the way they think they would most enjoy it. :-)

Miller's Landing...
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alaskan cruises with teenage boys

I would not go on a cruise... the cruise ships dont really compare to what you can do on your own. There is so much to do in each town and they just don't stay long enough to enjoy the towns they visit!

9. Re: Alaskan cruises with teenage boys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, September 15, 2009