We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seward Air Force Camp or private lodging?

Which Seward hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mons, Belgium
Level Contributor
90 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Seward Air Force Camp or private lodging?

Hello. Visiting Seward with my parents for 4 nights post-cruise in July.

Because I am a school counselor working for the Department of Defense we are eligible to stay at the Air Force Camp (the Army facility is full).

Anyone out there familiar with this camp? The cost is reasonable $130/night for a 1 bedroom cabin with queen sleeper sofa and a kitchenette.

Will the location or amenities disappoint as compared with other options in Seward?

Thanks. Looking forward to reading the entire Seward Forum! Sounds like it will be 5 fun-filled days.

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seward Air Force Camp or private lodging?

Several years ago I rented an Air Force Cabin with some friends. At that time it was quite plain and perfectly adequate and comfortable. The Army Camp, as you apparently heard, is an exception to the rule of Air Force luxury beats all; it is much nicer.

The two are located side-by-side just outside Seward Port, within walking distance if you are a walker. The town is a few miles farther on. You are near the local grocery store (Carrs).

It is a great, price-worthy place to sleep, but you are not downtown in the middle of things.

Wasilla, Alaska
Level Contributor
960 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seward Air Force Camp or private lodging?

It's too bad the Army side has no vacancy. There is quite a difference. I would be disappointed as compared to other options in Seward. Saying that, I am not sure what kind of prices you would be looking at during that time frame - high season. If you look at it from an amenities standpoint, they don't offer much. They do have laundry facilities and a recreation room. I would consider those average. If you are only there to sleep and cook your meals, then it's probably fine. As already stated, Safeway is only a block or so from there, and it is a very nice store. You are about 2 miles or so from downtown Seward if staying at the AF camp.

I don't know if you can arrange your reservations in such a way that you could cancel if the Army side opens up. I know the Army side would be significantly more expensive at that time.

Miller's Landing...
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seward Air Force Camp or private lodging?

The Military Rec Camp was remodled several years ago and is beautiful inside. They really have it going on...

There are a lot of nice places to stay in Seward. I would not say that they are better or worse but probably more affordable!

Millers Landing

Seward Alaska

4. Re: Seward Air Force Camp or private lodging?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:23 am, September 15, 2009