We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miller's Landing

florida
Level Contributor
142 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Miller's Landing

I'm trying to find reviews for these cabins and campground...

Do you know the place? Is it nice?

We would like something rustic and clean.

Thank you!!!

sawbridgeworth uk
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Miller's Landing

Hi if you click on the seward hotels on trip advisor under hotels you will see some reviews of Millers Landing. When we were looking for accomodation for our trip we saw these and decided to not go near Millers Landing.

Hopefully glacierlady will see your post as she is the local expert.

Mentioned in this post
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Miller's Landing

Miller's Landing?? Originally my wife & I plan go there & spend a couple night in the early July but after reviewing the feedback.... Well, we kind of hesitated & doubt. I think we will try to find other place & see other experts' suggestion...

Good luck

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miller's Landing

Miller's Landing has a convinient location at the end of Lowell Point road next to the ocean.

Tthe main camp store was rebuilt a couple years ago and serves many purposes from supplying water taxis for kayakers/back packers/hikers, renting skiffs (small boats), a booking agent, campground, cabins and a house for rent.

RV parking along the ocean.

The tent campground is small and mostly heavily wooded.

If you've ever truely camped, remember how much just a little running water & flush toilets can be such a luxury. : )

Some cabins are very rustic, basically a roof with a bed and dresser, can work for those on a budget, not expecting a 1st class resort, but don't want to sleep in a tent.

This is definately more of a true Alaskan experince and you would tend to meet more of the roughing it /back packer type people.

They have a big 4 bedroom? house along with a smaller cute cabin a bit down the road from the store.

Potlucks and bonfires on Saturday nights are popular. People gather in the store/coffee shop to tell stories and you might find someone strumming a song.

While this place may not be for everyone, some may also really enjoy the more local spirit, with easy access to the ocean and hiking trails.

Let me know if you want more specifics.

florida
Level Contributor
142 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Miller's Landing

Talk about bad reviews...

We made reservations for the small kute cabin that has a kitchen and bathroom.

We even change the reservation so we could participate in the potluck dinner. We were imagining how nice would be to sit at nigth around the fire and hear stories, meet new people.

I just sent the link to my hubby so we can decide what to do.

The location with the kayaks and hikes made us interested.

The credit card thing was a little scary...

A lot of times when I read a bad review, someone from that same place later post an explanation or a excuse, not in this case...

When I thougth that I was done looking...

Maria

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Miller's Landing

Miller's Landing is family owned and has been here for a very long time. I don't believe the CC thing. It's not a place for everyone, like walking off a cruise ship to stay there could result in a big shock...but for those looking for a more real Alaska experince it could produce alot of great memories. I personally would stay next door at Saltwater Lodge, which is right on the water with a fantastic view.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
florida
Level Contributor
142 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Miller's Landing

OK, we've been looking through Seward accomodation websites all day and we're thoroughly confused.

We're willing to pay the $15 fee to cancel out of Millers Landing but haven't found the alternative that's right for us.

We're a couple in our 40s/50s looking for a cabin or B&B near the water that's reasonable, probably up to $130 per night. We'd also like to have some kitchen facilities or at the very least a BBQ outside. We spoke with the woman at Saltwater Lodge earlier today and they had what sounded like a nice room for $129 but no kitchen facilities and right next to the kitchen, which she said meant it's noisy in the morning.

See the dilemma?

So as of now we're holding onto our Mates Cabin for $79 at waiting for a little guidance on where to turn next. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Miller's Landing

Let's try to narrow it down...Your cabin at Miller's Landing isn't on the ocean, but you won't find anything cheaper than that for what your getting. $79 for a summer night in Seward is cheap. It's not fancy and you'd still have to walk to see the water. How important is being on the water vs having a kitchen? Lowell Point is the only area you can stay and be next to the ocean with an unobstructed view of the bay. It's not a large area but there are a couple other properties ...Angel's Rest, Ocean Front B&B, Cottage on the Bay, and my favorite Alaska Saltwater Lodge, which I know you've already checked on, Sunny Cove Kayaking is in the parking lot. If kayaking is what peaked your interest, than this is it.

Holiday Inn, Safari Lodge and Whistlestop are in the small boat harbor, close to the water but by decks/boardwalk and you also have all the boats docked there, just not the same to me. Seward Waterfront Lodging is downtown, next door to the spendy Edgewater Hotel. You have to walk across the street and the Sealife center parking lot for the shore. None of these are cabins either.

If you are willing to stay north of town it opens up alot more selection of some really cute cabins with kitchens but no ocean views. Your thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Alaska Saltwater Lodge
Alaska Saltwater Lodge
115 Reviews
Seward, AK
Safari Lodge
Safari Lodge
11 Reviews
Seward, AK
florida
Level Contributor
142 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Miller's Landing

Thank you so much. Basically we are balancing the kitchen against the view, with the idea that the money we save on the cheaper lodgings we can put toward activities we're planning to do such as kayaking and boat tours. We're not the type to sit in a room half the day staring out at the great views. Also, we like the idea that a cabin is a) a little more private than a hotel room, and b) a bit more spacious. So unless somebody tells us the Mate's Cabin is a disaster waiting to happen, we're probably going to stick with it.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Miller's Landing

Your welcome. You'll be fine staying there as long as your not expecting anything fancy. The price is right to save $$ and use it for when your not sleeping.

You'll enjoy the drive out there. Take a walk along the beach. There's some really unique houses around. Please write a review when you get back.. I'm looking forward to it. Let me know if you need any more help.

florida
Level Contributor
142 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Miller's Landing

Thank you again!

Last two posts was DH writing( a lot better English).

We will wait before changing... They will have a kayak tournament in the Spring and you think that some cleaning would be taking place...

Let's see! We have some time.

I went back 7 pages and still could not find something positive but found people who also knew about the negatives and went anyway but no reviews when there came back.

We will write a review .

Maria