We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vela Luka to Dubronik in May

Which Vela Luka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London/Brisbane
Level Contributor
152 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Vela Luka to Dubronik in May

Hi all.

I'm wanting to stay in Vela Luka for a few nights and get from here to Dubrovnik. I would prefer to be able to travel via boat, but I understand there are also bus transfers available.

I've had a look on a few website (Jadrolina and G&V line) but I'm struggling to find anything between the two places. Am I missing something somewhere?

Thanks!!

6 replies to this topic
Msida, Malta
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vela Luka to Dubronik in May

There are no ferries from Vela Luka to Dubrovnik but there is a bus every morning from Vela Luke (then Korcula town) to Dubrovnik at around 6.00am - it leaves Korcula town at around 6.40 so as it starts in Vela Luka it should leave there at least 40 minutes before

Last year the ferries from Korcula town to Dubrovnik did not start until the very end of May/1st June

G & V Lines only operate in July and August

Have a good trip !

London/Brisbane
Level Contributor
152 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vela Luka to Dubronik in May

Wow! That's very early. Almost certainly don't want to do this on my relaxing holiday. Thanks for letting me know

So there's really no other way to get from Korcula Island to Dubrovnik in early May (would be on a Wednesday I think too if that makes a difference)?

Msida, Malta
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vela Luka to Dubronik in May

Sorry no other way except by bus or if you hire a car - you could also take the local mini bus service but this would also leave Vela Luka at around 6.30am - maybe early nights sleep before !!

Just had a thought that there are a few local taxi services that would drive you to Dubrovnik later in the day (at whatever time you wish) - I know that "Antun Taxi" does this and also another local taxi driver I know - I do have their local numbers should you wish but when you are in Vela Luka I would suggest that you ask a few local taxi drivers how much they would charge to drive you to Dubrovnik

I have personally done this before a few years ago when I slept in and missed the bus to Dubrovnik when taking a flight and it cost me 1,000 Croatian Kunas from my home here in Korcula to the airport in Dubrovnik - but it was worth it to get to my flight on time !

The bus by the way costs around 100 Cro Kuna per person and also you have to pay 10/20 (not sure now) for each bag

Happy planning !

Edited: 10:36 am, March 22, 2011
London/Brisbane
Level Contributor
152 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vela Luka to Dubronik in May

Thanks again for your helpful reply.

If we chose to do self-drive, would we just need to get the Korčula - Orebić ferry? I had a quick look at the winter timetable, and they seem to go quite often during the day.

Msida, Malta
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vela Luka to Dubronik in May

Yes just the Korcula-Orebic ferry which operates frequently from just outside the main town of Korcula - Dominice (about a 35 minute drive from Vela Luka) - we have driven this way to Dubrovnik many times - stopping in Ston which is really nice for coffee - altogether it has taken us around 3 hours but that is stopping for around 30 minutes

There are many agencies in Korcula who would rent you a car that you could drop off in Dubrovnik

London/Brisbane
Level Contributor
152 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vela Luka to Dubronik in May

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions - you've been a great help.

We've decided to go to Vela Luka and we'll either hire a car from Split and get the car ferry over or just get to Vela Luka on the passenger ferry and hire a car on Korcula Island somewhere.

Thanks again :)

Reply to: Vela Luka to Dubronik in May
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vela Luka