We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best beach for a wedding sunset ceremony

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Regina,Saskatchewan
6 posts
Save Topic
best beach for a wedding sunset ceremony

We are planning on gettting married Feb/08 and are looking for suggestions on beaches to have our sunset ceremony in Kona ....Any ideas.We are going to be renting condos and there isn't a beach close by that we could walk to.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best beach for a wedding sunset ceremony

OK.... a beach in Kona in Feb.... There will only be one at the King Kam hotel.... The outrigger and Sheraton both have littel wedding areas but on grass not sand..... There will be no sand at magic sands till April. Old Airport park north will be on Lava, and so too with the energy lab beach..... You will have to look to Kohala coast for sand.....

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best beach for a wedding sunset ceremony

weddinggal, just to make sure you understand, the "there will only be one at the King Kam hotel.... The Outrigger and Sheraton both have littel wedding areas but on grass not sand...." means you have to pay for using the areas at the hotel.

Rochester Hills, MI
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: best beach for a wedding sunset ceremony

I also had dreams about a beach wedding, but after doing research on hawaii and finding all beaches are public, i had nightmares of other tourists standing there in their speedo bathing suits watching (or even worse, in our wedding photos!)

anyways, just wanted to remind you about the public thing, and if you are ok with that... great, but i had my wedding on the grass by the beach in a more private location.

I know you said Kona, but i love Hapuna Beach (although it always seems to be very busy).

What about A-Bay?

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best beach for a wedding sunset ceremony

The Sheraton has two areas, the Photo Garden" and the "Wedding Lawn" and both backs up to Keauhou Bay. The sunset background is unbelievable there!

Regina,Saskatchewan
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best beach for a wedding sunset ceremony

Thanks for all you input.I will be getting in touch with a wedding planner in Kona.Would there be many people around at sunset time at the public beaches?The sheraton sounds nice...

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,436 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best beach for a wedding sunset ceremony

Note on A-Bay and all beaches really -- the sun's arc swings a long way from north to south, summer to winter. At A-Bay, the sun doesn't set "into" the ocean at all seasons ... you need to have someone tell you where the sun is setting in February

... sadly, I cannot now remember, have been over here too long ... the best sunsets there I think are around the equinox, right now the sun is to the south and I think it goes down behind the point unless maybe you're up at the Marriott end.

Get a map and look at it. The west coast shores of the Big Island above Keahole Point (the airport) do not all face west. From the airport to Kawaihae Harbor the coast heads northeast, not north, and then the little bays have their individual positions.

So get someone to check that sunset for you ... hard job!

About weddings on public beaches, to be brutally honest, some us residents are pretty jaded about weddings getting in the way when we're trying to have beach time. White dresses and heels and people in suits and the photo session ... seem more comic than solemn and more annoying than appealing. Sorry, but it feels like someone is imposing an agenda on the beach ...

I definitely vote YAY for people who pay for their wedding venue to have a private occasion, whether in Hawaii or elsewhere. Funny, on the mainland no one would think of getting married on a public street corner, but people do essentially that in Hawaii all the time, and everyone who just happens to be there having a day of recreation is supposed to shush and tiptoe around it and make space ... which I think is unfair to expect unless one is getting food, cake, and champagne ;-).

Only stating that perspective because it was mentioned that the public will be around and you may not enjoy that, the other side of the coin is the public may not enjoy it either.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,992 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best beach for a wedding sunset ceremony

If you are working with a wedding planner then it's his/her business to know where there are good sites for you that time of year! See what the planner suggests then check back here for feedback.

FYI I was just up in S. Kohala--if you are at the beach area at the south end of the Orchid, on the point just before the paved sidewalk area, you will have sun setting into ocean. Not at the beach cove or Browns beach house area iteself. At Mauna Lani, the sun sets south of the beach area, behind a point. So the Waikoloa Marriott end might have sun into water, but it is not that scenic (big sand piles) and has lots of tourists.

USA
Level Contributor
389 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best beach for a wedding sunset ceremony

If you aren't dead set on having sand beneath your feet I'd say you can't go wrong with the wedding chapel on the grounds of the Sheraton. It's a very pretty setting with lush plantings all around and the water in the background. (No worry about rain either.) You could then take the short walk to the Sheraton' s Crystal Blue lounge, mostly outdoors but covered and with a fabulous view of the ocean, for your reception. Your guests could stay at the Sheraton and no one will have to deal with driving. Just my opinion.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best beach for a wedding sunset ceremony

We were married in a simple ocean-front ceremony, at a very special place, on the southern end of Puuhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park (aka: Place of Refuge) three years ago. It was, by our definition, a perfect setting. The Gentleman who performed our service retired shortly thereafter, but I would think any qualified wedding planner would be able to help you. As I recall, a permit was required, but it was easily obtained.

We have returned each year since; and will do so again in a few weeks. Unlike many of the mentioned places, crowds have never been a problem (avoid weekends) and the weather, knock on wood, has always been perfect.

Hope it all goes together for you.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,935 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best beach for a wedding sunset ceremony

Here's our experience. Last year we were traveling with another couple who was staying in a resort, we in a condo very close to the ocean. Every other day, one couple chose our agenda. On our day we chose to make a sunset dinner for them at our condo and eat out on our lanai. Nobody informed us a wedding was taking place on the area between the condo and the ocean so our evening was spent tiptoeing around trying to cook our fish on the grill, then whispering from sunset into the night while the wedding took place and reception was held. Also, throughout the ceremony, people were walking across the lawn, going down to the water with their dogs, talking loudly, and yes, some even in their speedos! To this day I cannot get that mental image out of my head! Did we resent it? Yes. Could it have been handled better? Yes. If the condo manager had informed us the wedding was taking place, we would have moved our dinner plans to another night and vacated the area for that evening.

My vote would be for a private area away from the crowds and onlookers for your sake and for other vacationer's sake. Also, you mentioned you were staying in some condos away from a beach. IMHO, that's a mistake. Please rethink that option. Much better plan would be to stay where the wedding will be and use their facilities, including bathrooms, for the wedding and reception. Much tidier arrangement IMO. That way when grandma (me) needs to find the ladie's room she can and when she gets tired at the reception and wants to go to bed she's just steps away from her room. Just my opinion.

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona