We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kona's best place to stock up on groceries?

Boston...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kona's best place to stock up on groceries?

We'll be coming back to the BI in a little over a week (hooray) and this time we're staying in a Kona condo.

Where is the best place to stock up on food and drinks for the week? Is there a close supermarket or food store that you would recommend that has the best prices? I know there's a Costco somewhere but we aren't members so that's not an option. Any suggestions would be great!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Kona's best place to stock up on groceries?

true, I had thought about mentioning Kmart. It's easier to get in and out of than the Kona Walmart.

Walmart sells beer and wine in Kona? Interesting. In Hilo they don't, unless it's hidden really well.

oregon
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Kona's best place to stock up on groceries?

Costco has the best meat. They have steak that you can cut with a fork. I plan on buying that there but most everything else at Safeway.

And gas is WAY cheaper at Costco!

phx
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Kona's best place to stock up on groceries?

Hmm, I am surprised by the responses here. At home on the mainland, I do most of our grociery shopping at Costco, and a little at Safeway. We went to big island about 2 years ago, and went to both Safeway and Costco. I did find Safeway prices quite a bit higher than mainland Safeway and Costco prices either the same or slightly higher than home. If you are planning to buy liquor, I would definately invest in a Costco membership. That is the place to stock up on water bottles, wine, and liquor. We also bought a case of chocolate covered mac nuts there to bring back and give to all of our family and friends. Kona's Costco also sells gas at a discount as well.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Kona's best place to stock up on groceries?

Gotta disagree.......

Waikoloa Market is the ONLY place you can buy Parker Ranch Black Angus Prize" beef...... for the same or cheaper than costso mainland stuff. All my beef comes from Safeway or Waikoloa....

Only costco pork is good......

Wal mart sells liquor, but at no big savings but is best for soft drinks... better than costco for Liquor go to Longs Drugs.

While costco gas is cheaper I dont find it practical to drive 30 min one way and burn 2 to 3 gallons in traffic, and have to wait 20 to 30 min, then drive back burning another 2 gallons to be any savings at all... so 1.5 hours burning 5 gallons at almost 2.90 to save 20 cents a gallon would mean I would have to buy more than 72.5 gallons to break even..... and if its a 16 gallon tank... I actualy lost money form buying it 20 or even 40 cents more a mile away.....

Costco owing to its remote location makes it false economy to buy there.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Kona's best place to stock up on groceries?

lfelix, you should have checked out Kona Wine Market, Kamuela Liquors and Longs instead of Costco for booze. Costco has the highest wine prices and higher than the others liquor prices here. Dan is right about the beef, quality beef is at the Waikoloa Village Market and Safeway only. In addition to pork, Costco has good lamb too. For "exotics" check KTA (rabbit) Sack'N'Safe (goat) and Safeway (buffalo)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Kona's best place to stock up on groceries?

chiming in ...

Costco wine prices are ridiculous! They don't carry the kind of beer we like either. For good wine prices, Safeway and Foodland (Waimea) and Longs (with less selection) ... just NEVER buy anything that's not on special. Half the stock is on sale at any one time.

To me, Costco is a very incomplete grocery store. They don't carry everything and you have to choose from whatever they got a buy on. I'd rather go to Safeway or Foodland where they have the selection and where they carry the smaller brands.

Take bottled water: Costco has Perrier for sparkling water, in small bottles, one flavor (when in stock), and that's it. Safeway has Calistoga, Crystal Geyser, Perrier, Pellegrino, and a couple others, in a variety of sizes and flavors, one or more will be on sale at any time.

Also the regular markets have all sorts of cool island seasonings and salad dressings. Costco has one brand of island grown coffeee (Maui), not very good. Safeway or Foodland have 20 kinds of coffee beans (as well as regular canned coffee).

Costco does SOME things well but I wouldn't want to live exclusively on what they stock!

17. Re: Kona's best place to stock up on groceries?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, August 27, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona