We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hapuna hotel

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Hapuna hotel

Well, we decided to cancel our reservation at the Sheraton, the no beach thing is no good! We are now staying at the Hapuna. Any thoughts on that? I hope it is a good choice. So many of the hotels were already booked! Also, what are the MUST see and do things on the big island? Thanks

CANADA
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hapuna hotel

You will not be disappointed with the Hapuna. I've taken my family there several times. It is an outstanding hotel with a great beach.

We just got back from Hawaii on March 4th and spent some of our time on the Big Island.

This trip we visited the volcano and walked to the point of seeing lava flow out of the earth as well as into the ocean. This is something that you shouldn't miss. However, wear good shoes and be prepared for a hike approx. 2 miles.

Have fun.

Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hapuna hotel

Thans for the info Brian. WOW, 2 hr hike, I am soooo out of shape, better hit the treadmill! What tour guide did you go through? Any other MUST see and do things?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
968 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hapuna hotel

Hi groovynp, I too had a reservation at the Sheraton but there were too many mixed reviews so I changed to the Hapuna. I am going in June and reserved the partial ocean room with the breakfast buffet included for $245.00. I think we have made a

wise choice according to all the raving reviews here and on the fodor's website. My brother and his wife went and loved their stay at the Hapuna. My only concern was it being out a ways but I have decided that will be a good thing for us. Afterall, it is supposed to be a vacation and I don't want to be near all the crowded touristy stuff and traffic as Kona supposedly is. As for your other question as to what there is to do, I have done lots of research and also read the Big Island Revealed book. You should get that book. Its worth the $11.00 on Amazon.com.

We are going to do the Volcano trip one day, some say it takes more than one day but I feel that will be plenty for us. We aren't interested in miles of hiking etc. We are debating on the Blue Hawaiian Helipcoter tour out of Hilo for 45 minutes. I think it will depend on the weather but people on this website have written that it is very well worth the $300 for 2 people. We plan to snorkel on the Fair Winds II out to the Captains monument. Plan to go to the Waipio Valley and up towards Hawi and Wamiea for some sights. We have rented a 4WD for sightseeing to the hard to get places such as the Green Beach towards South Point. The BI Revealed book goes into detail about all of these things. Anyway, good luck in your planning.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hapuna hotel

I getting married in Honolulu in October and am currently planning the back end of my honeymoon for the Big Island. It's driving me a little crazy--I specifically told the travel agent we wanted to be on the beach, and she's been pushing the Sheraton very hard, so it's been good to find out that there's not really a beach there.

Anyway, I would love to know what you guys who booked at the Hapuna think about it when you return, if you wouldn't mind e-mailing me: dagnytaggert@earthlink.net.

Thanks!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
968 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hapuna hotel

Hey dagnyt,

Hapuna is supposedly one one the nicest beaches there is and the Hapuna Prince Hotel is right on the corner of it. If you get a chance, read the reviews on this website about the hotel. Go under "Island of Hawaii hotels" under the search. There are many opinions and the majority of them are very positive. Most issues are over cost of food at the resort, which I am already prepared for. Also, on Foder's they give very positive reviews of the hotel. The only other one I was interested in was the Four Seasons but I just couldn't see paying $700 per night for an oceanfront room. To many other things to spend that sorta cash on for the little bit that we are going to be in the room.

Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hapuna hotel

Hey Daqnyt, I will be happy to email you with my review of the Hapuna. We have never been to the big island before so I will take careful notes. We have been to Maui, Kuai and Ohau though so if you need any info on that let me know. My emai is bphull@etex.net.

Congrats on your wedding!

Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hapuna hotel

Thanks Tracy, I am ordering that book today!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
968 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hapuna hotel

Hey again groovynp, I will tell you that if you do get the BI revealed book, the authors gave a negative review towards the Hapuna Prince. I was disappointed in what they had to say but I weighed it out and considered all the many, many good reviews on this website and Fodor's for that hotel. I even posted my concern on this website over having booked there and then reading their review. But as everyone responded it is only the opinion of 2 authors and everything is not always 100% accurate. Some of the hotels that they gave a "gem" to have had plenty of negative reviews on this website. Other than that, the book is wonderful.

kohala coast, hawaii
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hapuna hotel

tracy- I'm curious, what negatives did the book bring up about the Hapuna?

slc
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hapuna hotel

"Their kitty-corner location denies the resort the true beachfront designation the Mauna Kea has, but you can access Hapuna Beach with ease...But we must need an eye exam. We've been in some ocean view rooms and couldn't see the ocean anywhere. We were assured that "the ocean is out there." Gee, that's comforting....Things are pretty spread out, so expect to do a lot of walking....It has all the amenities and is pleasant, but it has a starkness to it that we can't quite put our finger on, yet can't deny. Overall, this place just doesn't work for us. It doesn't radiate the dreamy warmth that some of the other resorts do. They strove for a modern, minimalist decor and���they achieved it. Too bad."

But I think these are just thorough reviews, with an opinion about their taste and style which this hotel doesn't quite meet. I think a really bad review would say "It stinks..the staff is rude...the hotel was nasty and dirty..."

Actually it's about the best, bad review you could get. Defiantly didn't stop us from booking there!!

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona