We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended happy hour?

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
29 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended happy hour?

Hi, we will be staying in the Kona area and would like any recommendations for good happy hour places and deals. We're not looking for a fancy place nor with a view necessarily (although that would be great), but a casual place with good strong mai-tais and maybe some happy hour pupus or early bird dinner specials. On Maui, we like places like Moose McGillicuddy's and Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina, so looking for something similar. Thanks!

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended happy hour?

Most places have happy hours and you might want to try "Huggo's On The Rocks" right next to Huggo's. It's ocean front, has music and acceptable pupus. Don't expect a "good strong mai tai" anywhere here. Even though it is the most famous Hawaiian drink, it became altered during the years and what you get as a mai tai has nothing to do with the real mai tai. (You can always tell the bartender how to make one though.)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
407 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended happy hour?

We stumbled upon the Kona Inn and I had a really great Mai Tai there! It's off the street, set into a shopping area, and it has a fantastic view. Looked like a very local, fun, laid-back crowd and the bartender was nice. Would be a great place for a sunset dinner too. Check it out!

Tina

alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
780 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended happy hour?

OK TT,

You wanna give us your recipe for a good Mai-tai? Snow on the ground and 6 1/2 weeks before we hit Kona so bring it on.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended happy hour?

4 oz rum

1 oz orange curacao

1 oz orgeat

1 oz 99 banana

1 oz framboise

juice of one lime

few drops of grandine

Shake all ingredients with crushed ice, strain it into a highball glass filled with crushed ice. Give the cherry, pineapple and umbrella to your kids! You will see a rainbow! :)

alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
780 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended happy hour?

Yikes!

Will give it a try!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,878 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended happy hour?

shootz, with all that liquor I expect more than a rainbow, more like an extended green flash!

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommended happy hour?

There is a small Korean place, in the same center as U-Top-It, called Ohana III, they have happy hour everyday from noon till 7pm and they have huge schooners of beer for 2bucks!

Heck of a deal!

No view at all, but you can sit on thier patio.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommended happy hour?

If you think my "Rabi Mai Tai" is potent than you should try another one of my "lethal" creations, the "Puna Blaze!"

1 oz vodka

1 oz gin

1 oz rum

1 oz tequila

1 oz 99 banana

1 oz orange curacao

1 oz coffee liquor

1 oz macadamia nut liquor

Juice of two limes

Shake all ingredients together and pour it 3/4 up in a crushed-ice filled highball glass. Top it off with Pineapple Iced Tea. You will see a double rainbow! :)

alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
780 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommended happy hour?

Perfect, thanks for the tip on the Ohana III, happy hour sounds good! How is the food? TT, I hope the recipes are for two!

Will let you know what we think.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,878 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommended happy hour?

LOL at your Puna Blaze, it sounds as fearsome as Pele.

I think I'll just watch you guys, with my wimpy glass of wind in hand.