We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaii in August. Which Islands are a must, for how long.

Caldwell, New Jersey
11 posts
Save Topic
Hawaii in August. Which Islands are a must, for how long.

We are planning a trip to Hawaii for two weeks beginning of Aug 2014. We have two teenage boys and would love to get the most of our visit. Which island is a must. My friend recommended going only to BI. We are thinking of renting a condo. Can you recommend where to stay and for how long. We are planning on doing helicopter tour of volcano, ATV, snorkeling, some hiking and relaxing of course.

Big Island Duck Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Bus Tours, Duck Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Epic! Tours
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Photography Tours
Torpedo Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,836 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaii in August. Which Islands are a must, for how long.

You could easily fill your entire two weeks on the Big island. If you wanted to try another island, Kauai is my favorite during the summer - the northshore is gorgeous!

If you do stick to the Big Island, consider splitting your time - most recommended is about 1/4 on the east side and 3/4 on the west side. If you want recommendations for condos, do share your nightly budget. Thanks! :)

Caldwell, New Jersey
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaii in August. Which Islands are a must, for how long.

thank you for your quick reply. I really don't want to spend more than $250 a night

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,032 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaii in August. Which Islands are a must, for how long.

Please ... before committing yourself to anything ... acquaint yourself with the Hawaiian Islands. Because a friend recommended the BI - or any Island - is not the best reason to make that your personal choice.

Pick up a copy of "Hawaii for Dummies," a highly-recommended travel guide that covers all the Islands. And get a good map of Hawaii as well. Pull up www.gohawaii.com. It's terribly commercial, but helpful for first timers.

It's a long haul from New Jersey to Hawaii ... at considerable cost, so know your options. Each of the Islands has its own amazing features.

None of the Islands is a "must." All of the Islands are a "must." Choose one that fits your interests, family and budget.

Renting a condo is a good idea, and you will want to act fairly soon ... as you will be traveling during high season. That being said - know about the area you are choosing before putting money on the line.

The Big Island is the only Island with an active volcano. That doesn't mean that you will see flowing lava, though. Odds are that you will not. Volcanoes National Park is great! On Maui, Haleakala is a massive dormant volcano.

Alway count your nights, not your weeks or days. You'll have 13? You have time to visit two Islands if you like. You would fly between them.

And when planning, see if you can fly directly to your first Island and back home from your last Island.

BTW - you are on the Forum for the Big Island of Hawaii ... so many (understandably) will encourage you to visit the Big Island. Each of the Islands has a dedicate Forum, and there is a generic State of Hawaii Forum for folks who are in the early stages of their planning and haven't settled on an Island (or Islands).

Caldwell, New Jersey
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaii in August. Which Islands are a must, for how long.

thank you, this was extremely helpful

Crested Butte...
Level Contributor
73 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaii in August. Which Islands are a must, for how long.

I think your friend gave you good advice. Rather than spread yourselves thin, why not have plenty of time to explore one island. We spent 11 days on the Big Island in April last year with our two teen boys and wish we'd had longer. Tons to do. We spent three nights in Hilo and during that time, hiked to see lava from Kalapana (hopefully it will be flowing again at a walkable distance by August), but also saw the Kilauea volcano glowing at night and took some rainforest, crater and lava tube hikes. Then we drove to the Kohala Coast for 8 nights, which we loved. High points included scuba diving, night snorkeling with manta rays, boogie boarding, exploring Hawi and plenty of beach time. We've been to Kauai too and that was wonderful but if we could go back, the Big Island would be our first choice.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,243 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaii in August. Which Islands are a must, for how long.

I agree with BLBL that you should read up on all the islands before making a decision. From what you mention you want to do, I think the BI will be a good for, it has the best snorkeling and of course VNP, and you get more bang for your buck here in terms of accommodation than on the other major islands but truthfully all of the four offer a lot of variety and activities. Also do read through the Top Questions on the right hand side of this forum which will answer a lot of your questions.

If you do decide on two weeks on the Big Island, I would spend about 10 days on the Kohala Coast and 4 days on the east side. $250 will get you a nice, newer luxury condo in the Kohala Coast resort areas close to all the best beaches and snorkeling. On the east side you can get a very nice house rental in that price range. On the other islands that budget is a little harder to work with but still totally doable.

Another option would be to spend 8 nights on the BI, split 6/2 between west and east, and then spend 5 nights on another one of the smaller islands. I think the BI and Kauai make an almost unbeatable combo because each has what the other lacks. The north shore of Kauai is spectacular in summer.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaii in August. Which Islands are a must, for how long.

I'd do 8-9 days on the BI and 5 days on Kauai. Maui only if you want a bit more action. But as Shea said the BI and Kauai are a perfect combo.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,032 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaii in August. Which Islands are a must, for how long.

LOL! For many visitors ... Oahu and Maui are the perfect combo. It's a norm ... common pairing for first-timers.

So you see ... there is no wrong answer. That's why you need to dig in on your own top discover what rings your bells.

Again, feel free to get back to us with more questions.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,243 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaii in August. Which Islands are a must, for how long.

Well, to me Oahu and Maui are the least desireable combination because those are the two busiest and most expensive islands. If I would have gone to either of those two islands first, I don't think I ever would have come back to Hawaii. I do agree as I said that the OP should do more research, but I don't make it a habit to go over to the Maui or Oahu forums and try to talk people out of going there when they're leaning that way. The OP seems to have focused on the BI for a reason, and their want list fits perfectly with the island.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,836 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaii in August. Which Islands are a must, for how long.

Oh Shea - I am so with you! I went to Kauai for my first visit to Hawaii and fell in love! If I had gone to Oahu first, I doubt I would have cared so much about returning . . . :)

Edited: 1:26 am, March 27, 2014