We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What kind if whale watching can be done in May 2014?

Boise, Idaho
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What kind if whale watching can be done in May 2014?

Hello all,

Will be visiting kona for a few days and want to go whale watching. I understand the humpbacks will be gone but what else will we be able to see? Dolphins? Other whales?

If whale watching is poor during May is here another part of hawaii where we might have better luck?

Lastly, any recommendations?

Thanks much!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,866 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What kind if whale watching can be done in May 2014?

The migratory whales will be gone from all parts of Hawaii. They come here during the winter and return to Alaska.

There are pilot whales that live here year round that I know of.

Much smaller and probably hit or miss.

Just not the time of year for good whale watching in Hawai'i.

Edited: 1:08 pm, February 17, 2014
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What kind if whale watching can be done in May 2014?

If there are any humpback stragglers they will be here, we have had whales hang around until May most years but your odds of seeing them are pretty low as there are so few. You will likely see dolphins on a boat tour designed for that purpose (please don't patronize any operation that promotes swimming with dolphins). Pilot whales aren't all that uncommon, I'd say you have about a 20% chance on any given day when out with a tour boat. But they are very skittish.

Boise, Idaho
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What kind if whale watching can be done in May 2014?

Thanks for the reply. Are the dolphin viewing boats a pretty sure bet? Could you recommend any humane options?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What kind if whale watching can be done in May 2014?

Mauna Lani Sea Adventures is responsible. You might also get lucky out on a kayak snorkel with Kohala Kayak.

5. Re: What kind if whale watching can be done in May 2014?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 20, 2015