We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ever stayed at Kailua Village condos or Kona Reef?

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
462 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ever stayed at Kailua Village condos or Kona Reef?

Aloha!

Has anyone ever stayed at the Kailua Village condos or Kona Reef?

I am planning a trip to BI in October 2007. The trip coincides with Ironman, intentionally because we would like to volunteer at the event. I had thought that by planning our trip some 15 months out that accommodations would be fairly easy to find. However, a lot of places are already booked.

We need someplace close enough to town to walk to since the traffic will be horrendous.

I found a few possibilities in town - the Kailua Village condos, and the Kona Reef.

Any comments on either of these two places would be greatly appreciated. I know they will not be fancy.

Mahalo!

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ever stayed at Kailua Village condos or Kona Reef?

Kailua Village is on Kuakini Highway, next to a gas station. The bedrooms are on the highway side so expect noise. The pool is small and concrete all around. You certainly would be better of with Kona Reef.

ksolitaire
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ever stayed at Kailua Village condos or Kona Reef?

I took my daughter and her best friend to the Big Island and stayed at the Kona Reef, the last 10 days of June. We had a great experience... we stayed in one of their ocean front condos... the view was spectacular and the condo was beautiful. The kitchen was well stocked with kitchenware... one trip to the grocery store and we were set. In our unit, we found lawn chairs to use.... snorkeling and body boarding gear... coolers to pack our lunches in when we were heading out for the day... it was just a well stocked unit.

The grounds are well kept... though the pool and hottub can get crowded between 5 and 8. If you want to grill out, there are large size grills out near the pool... we took advantage of that a few times. Sunsets are beautiful from the balcony or from the grounds.... and if you are lucky you may spy a gecko or 3, hanging out along the pool or stairs. You can watch the turtles swim up into the small tidal pools that dot the edges of the water, there at the complex. In a nutshell: I highly recommend it... you can't beat the price for what you get at the Kona Reef.

ksolitaire
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ever stayed at Kailua Village condos or Kona Reef?

And to add: the Reef is within walking distance of a lot of things. If we ever needed anything or to go somewhere in that immediate area, we walked it... it was easier than getting in a car and battling the traffic.

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ever stayed at Kailua Village condos or Kona Reef?

Hi -- I have stayed at Kona Reef twice. It's been 5 years though since last stay. I highly recommend it for location -- can just walk into town to all the restaurants, etc. Not a huge pool, but there have been some posts recently that a "beach" has now developed next door that they are even turning into a park. By the time you get there, it should be complete (well -- maybe according to some of the local experts). So you might even have a beach of sorts right next door as well. One warning -- like many Hawaii condo places, they will advertise "ocean view" and "Ocean front". Ocean view in the case of the condo I rented there meant if I walked out on the lanai, leaned over balcony and looked to my right, I could see the ocean a block away. It was fine, for sunsets every night we made drinks and then brought them down to the pool where you get great views of the sunset. There are ocean front condos there (a friend of mine owns one) where you are in fact able to look right out on the ocean below like the previous poster. But big difference between ocean front, ocean view . I don't know anything about the other condo you mentioned.

5. Re: Ever stayed at Kailua Village condos or Kona Reef?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, August 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona