We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Happy hour in Kona?

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
474 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Happy hour in Kona?

Wondering about recs for a good (quality) drink list and appies in the Kona area. (See post for Lahaina a couple of days ago). What we want is nice atmosphere, good food, and reasonable drink selection for late afternoon. As the DD, value a place where can get one glass of great wine while spouse enjoys Mai Tai or a margarita.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,980 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Happy hour in Kona?

Yes Huggos is still there. I'm not sure what their happy hour situation is. It's also not very reasonably priced. Don's is better in this regard IMO.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
159 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Happy hour in Kona?

Huggo's and Huggo's by the Rocks are both still there. Agree that Huggo's is over priced with mediocre food. however the setting is nice.

Huggos on the Rocks has a nightly happy hour and the drinks are pretty reasonable, $3 for beer and appetizer specials. It is one of the cheaper happy hours in town. They also do pretty well with nightly entertainment. Good place to catch a sunset. Visitors like sitting at tables in the sand for some reason. Eating at Huggos on the Rocks is mostly low end stuff, nothing upscale. I stopped going to this place because there were so many nightly regulars that you could never get a seat at the bar and some would just sit there drinking water or nothing at all. A while back I had one regular tap me on the shoulder and tell me I was in his seat. He expected me to move.........yea, right !

California
Level Contributor
782 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Happy hour in Kona?

Another vote for Don the Beachcombers. We recently had a couple of enjoyable happy hours sitting at the bar, enjoying the mai-tais and a couple of pupus. And you can't beat the view of the sunset.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,052 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Happy hour in Kona?

Please plan on at least one sunset at Don the Beachcombers! If you time it right you can work HH on into the sunset, great fun with good server's/bartenders, pupus, and other fun folks to visit with and share stories!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
892 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Happy hour in Kona?

Don's. Love the passion lava flows but they aren't cheaper during happy hour =( They have an excellent quesdilla though which is a few bucks less during happy hour. Service is really bad if you aren't sitting at the bar in my experience.

I actually do like Huggo's on the Rocks too but agree that the food isn't particularly good and overpriced. I had their hula pie and it was more or less frozen solid :(

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Happy hour in Kona?

Because Happy Hours in Kona do seem a bit early, I don't think we've ever *tried* to make it to one. We were always too busy with the day's events, and just "sucked" up the extra $$ of full-price for dining/drinking on our time, not on the establishment's time. Or, we had our own HH at our rental, since our rental usually had just as good a view as some of the restaurants, if not better. We actually created our own drink concoction doing that. Will put in a plug for the Mai Tais at The Beach Tree, and at Royal Kona's Don's the Beachcomber, though.

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Happy hour in Kona?

Because Happy Hours in Kona do seem a bit early, I don't think we've ever *tried* to make it to one. We were always too busy with the day's events, and just "sucked" up the extra $$ of full-price for dining/drinking on our time, not on the establishment's time. Or, we had our own HH at our rental, since our rental usually had just as good a view as some of the restaurants, if not better. We actually created our own drink concoction doing that. Will put in a plug for the Mai Tais at The Beach Tree, and at Royal Kona's Don's the Beachcomber, though.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
499 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Happy hour in Kona?

Passion Lava Flow?! How have I missed this all my life?

Another vote for Don's!

19. Re: Happy hour in Kona?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 26, 2015