We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton Kona Resort

Toronto
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sheraton Kona Resort

Sheraton Waikiki and Sheraton Kona

I will be staying at both resorts in the coming weeks. Does anyone have any tips regarding these hotels. Also does anyone know if either hotels have a Keurig machine in the rooms?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,076 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton Kona Resort

I would just say know what you are getting. The Sheraton Waikiki is one of the major players in the middle of Waikiki action.

The Sheraton Keauhou was not built as a Sheraton, and was an old closed up property that was acquired by Sheraton and renovated. It is isolated and it is definitely not in the tier of better hotels on the island. It's a medium tier 3 star hotel and one that has been struggling financially for years.

Just don't consider it a classic Sheraton property.

California
Level Contributor
902 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton Kona Resort

What it does have is a very nice open air bar (Rays on the Bay) overlooking the ocean where the manta ray boats come at night. Good pupus and drinks and live music.

LA
Level Contributor
10,246 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton Kona Resort

But the Sheraton Kona does not have a beach and it is not walkable to a safe beach.

It is not where the most active manta ray diving currently is.

It is in the Vog Belt where the clouds from volcanic activity can obscure the sun.

Edited: 3:52 pm, January 08, 2014
LA
Level Contributor
10,246 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton Kona Resort

I should correct that: Where the clouds from the Volcanic activy from the volcano carry acid and possibly particulates and cause dull overcast appearing skies. Not a good place if any in your party are asthmatic.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
28,374 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton Kona Resort

I think it's stretching it to call the Sheraton Keauhou a "resort", although I know they call themselves that Aside from the downsides mentioned above, the pool is not heated and parts of it are under roof so it is very cold much of the year. There's no beach or ocean access as a pool alternative.

Re the bar, I have never actually been able to see manta rays from shore there during the night dive, they're generally too far out. The food IME ranges from mediocre to worse.

The last time I was in a room there they just had a small standard coffee maker, no Keurig, but that was about two years ago.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
168 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton Kona Resort

The name is "Sheraton Kona Resort". It hasn't been called Keahou in quite a while.

Rays on the Bay is actually a pretty decent place to have a drink and soak up the ambience. Completely different then the old bar.

Toronto
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheraton Kona Resort

Thanks for everyone's input we are first timers to Hawaii so we are going to experience Hawaii and not just to stay in a hotel. I think the hotel will be fine as we know it's not the Four Seasons.

Coquitlam, BC...
Level Contributor
276 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheraton Kona Resort

We stayed at the Sheraton Kona resort last March and we thought it was very nice. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. We booked a mountain view room and it was great because it got the morning sun on the lanai (the ocean view room that our friends had was shady in the morning). We like to sit out in the sun and have our morning coffee on the lanai so it was perfect for us.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
28,374 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sheraton Kona Resort

Actually the rebrand is the "Sheraton Kona Resort and Spa at Keauhou Bay" although Starwood's description on the website still refers to it as "Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa, on Hawaii's Big Island, is the ideal luxury hotel for your next Hawaii vacation."

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,076 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sheraton Kona Resort

>>> The name is "Sheraton Kona Resort". It hasn't been called Keahou in quite a while.

Well, what the hotel owner calls a property and what people on island call it often involves a lag. People here donʻt like changing the names of things. I bet some still call it the Kona Surf, with maybe a nod that itʻs a Sheraton now, and the Marriott Courtyard will always be the King Kamehameha to many.

Hilo old timers always tell me how to find the County and Mayorʻs office in Hilo by directing me to JC Penny. Never mind that JC Penny closed there well over a decade ago; the DMV and the County offices will always be Pennyʻs.

And whatever name variations of the Sheraton, it is still in Keauhou.

If you talk to locals, they believe the sites of the old Kona Lagoon and Kona Surf (which lay abandoned and overgrown for about four years before Sheraton renovated it) were cursed, and are still haunted. They believe that is why the hotels failed. I am not much of a ghost story person, but they believe it passionately. You can read some of the stories; they are interesting even if you are a non-believer.

365kona.com/keauhou/…

angelfire.com/journal2/dragonpearl/ghost.html

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona