We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo reviews. Recommended for.......

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
517 posts
1,834 reviews
Save Topic
Condo reviews. Recommended for.......

We're looking at renting a condo for a week, at either the Kona Reef or the Hale Kona Kai.

I've been doing my research and enquiries on Homeaway, however I have a quick question on the reviews. All of them say recommended for 55+ age group. None of them recommend for couples, or younger age groups.

Does anyone know if this is either the typical age group that visits, Hawaii, or have I just chosen condos which 55+ go to! Or is this the only age option for reviews on Homeaway?

Ohio
Level Contributor
92 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Condo reviews. Recommended for.......

Hi Shea! Thank you for all your help you gave me before leaving for our trip! The boys enjoyed the Manta ray snorkel. I had never heard about the overuse of the snorkeling area. We found it beautiful and full of turtles and a variety of fish. We particularly like it since it is shallow and my husband and I took 2 breaks on the rocky area while spending 1 1/2 hours snorkeling. The body boarding beach was awesome and my husband and I laid out there while our boys, who love body boarding and can definantely handle the sets. Wasn't aware of any drug dealers on the beach, but not sure they would approach two 50 year olds. LOL

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,133 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Condo reviews. Recommended for.......

Sorry for the typo below, Laaulu is the street I used to live on! Lol. Laaloa is the bodyboarding beach in town (also referred to as Magic Sands due to the disappearing beach).

Takoh, hopefully next time you come you can get in some snorkeling and bodyboarding at the better spots up north. :-) What happens when people stand up on what they think are rocks at Kahaluu, they are often killing coral and delicate organisms. The shallowness thus is exactly what has contributed to the problems. As ReefTeach volunteers we ask people never to stand while snorkeling out there even if they think they're just on a rock, and to come in to shore to take a break. Also many beginners think it's good there because it's shallow but they end up hitting and breaking coral with fins or small children without fins stand and put their face in the water and end up stung by wana.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,380 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Condo reviews. Recommended for.......

fyi, wana are sea urchins.

Shea, I looked for the post "below" -- just realized you say that because you use the mobile version with newer posts on top. On the full site version, prior posts are always "above."

Thanks for sharing about how to avoid damaging the reef.

Ohio
Level Contributor
92 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Condo reviews. Recommended for.......

Shea, We were greeted by volunteers who told us not to stand on the coral or touch the sea turtles. I think it is awesome there are people to remind others, including myself, of how to be good stewards of the land. Rest assured I took my breaks on rocks. Big black ones!!!!! I still stand by my original post that Keauhou is a great place to stay. In fact, we are researching real estate at this time, although I think it will be another 5 years before we retire. Hopefully we can get involved with environmental issues when we are there.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,380 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Condo reviews. Recommended for.......

takoh, OT but as you mentioned it:

I would not buy there due to the vog. Be very sure it does not affect you before committing. Speaking as someone who has bought more than one property and let it go due to vog. It could get like it was in 2008 again at any time the volcano ramps up.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,133 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Condo reviews. Recommended for.......

I completely agree with KK. I lived many years in Kailua Kona and South Kona and now would never do so, due to not only the vog but the drug activity and petty crime. Things you might not notice as a visitor (although I have noticed increasing letters to the editor from visitors who have been affected by both things) become readily apparent after a more extended time period there.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,133 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Condo reviews. Recommended for.......

By the way, those "big black rocks" should host a variety of coral species. The reason they do not at Kahaluu is because everyone stands on them.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,380 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Condo reviews. Recommended for.......

Purely in the spirit of aloha, no amount of research prepares you to buy here and retire. Yes, I did that. DH had lived and worked on the island before though, and lived on Maui for years. He knew a lot more than I did. We still made mistakes. Also when you are off island you buy under pressure and with way too little due diligence possible.

The best research you can do is rent a place for a year while you figure out the exact right spot for yourself, because that is no easy feat.

Edited: 12:10 am, December 30, 2013
Ohio
Level Contributor
92 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Condo reviews. Recommended for.......

Renting before buying sounds like good advice. thanks!

30. Re: Condo reviews. Recommended for.......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 01, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona