We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo reviews. Recommended for.......

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
510 posts
1,663 reviews
Save Topic
Condo reviews. Recommended for.......

We're looking at renting a condo for a week, at either the Kona Reef or the Hale Kona Kai.

I've been doing my research and enquiries on Homeaway, however I have a quick question on the reviews. All of them say recommended for 55+ age group. None of them recommend for couples, or younger age groups.

Does anyone know if this is either the typical age group that visits, Hawaii, or have I just chosen condos which 55+ go to! Or is this the only age option for reviews on Homeaway?

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,998 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo reviews. Recommended for.......

Using Hale Kona Kai as an example: hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/big-isla…

- it would probably be difficult to recommend this to younger couples/families because of the lack of beach and the small grounds. There are probably a lot of retired people staying here on a repeat basis, and they are the ones who have time to write reviews and likely prefer to recommend it to people in their own age group. I'm sure there are younger couples and occasionally young families who choose to stay there as well, but they might not be the ones who have time to write the reviews, or maybe they found it less than ideal as a location.

A lot of young couples and families do visit Hawaii - it's a great destination for people of all ages since there is such a diverse choice of activities to choose from that appeal to people of every age - and you can have a great time whether you choose to have an active or non-active vacation or something in between.

Suggest also reading reviews here on TA for these places to see if you can find reviews from people in your own age group. Just to add, 55+ isn't the only age option on Homeaway/VRBO reviews :)

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,695 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo reviews. Recommended for.......

There are exceptions of course, but in general I've noticed those who prefer Kailua Kona and tend to write positive reviews of their experiences there are older. IME most Kailua Kona condos tend to attract two different demographics; older couples and surfers. They are generally older complexes with a lot of studios and smaller units and very small or no pools, and are on a busy road (Alii drive) and so aren't great for families. As Susan mentions most beaches and ocean sports other than surfing are an hour or so north so people looking to have a lot of beach time and snorkeling, kayaking, ocean swimming tend to stay north. Kailua Kona appeals to many people who want an oceanfront lanai but don't necessarily care about getting into the ocean or the opposite, the surfer group who just want a cheap place as close as possible to the better surf breaks.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo reviews. Recommended for.......

That's very much what I see if I drive through Ali'i Drive. The lower rates for the Kailua Kona condos attract people who want a longer stay too, such as winter weather escapees looking for a month or so in a nice climate. Working younger couples and families don't have the ability to come for those long breaks, but retirees do.

If I pass through Waikoloa Beach Resort, there is a combo of 55+ And families with kids dominating. Younger couples with no kids seem to favor the hotels over condos, though not exclusively, or else look for B&B or an off the path adventure away from both town and the resorts.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
510 posts
1,663 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo reviews. Recommended for.......

Thanks all. That's extremely helpful.

You mentioned an hour north would be better for snorkeling, beaches etc. where exactly do you mean? I'm thinking of perhaps changing my search location!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo reviews. Recommended for.......

Kohala Coast.

You should find the Top Questions on Kohala and Kona lodgings helpful. Also read the TQ on beaches and snorkeling so that you learn where to find these things. This island has few beaches that arenʻt pockets of sand, and most are wither well north of Kailua Kona in Kona (but there is no lodging there that is not luxury) or they are farther north on the Kohala Coast, where there is an abundance of condos.

Also read TQ on Waikoloa and Mauna Lani.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
510 posts
1,663 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo reviews. Recommended for.......

Thanks again. I must admit I've done so much reading about all the islands recently I've got information overload.

I may give holiday planning a rest for a couple of days and then start again with renewed enthusiasm!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo reviews. Recommended for.......

I get that!

OTOH, Kailua Kona and South Kohala are very different, so you definitely want a sense of their contrasts before you pull the trigger on your rental, which is such a major decision. You are wise to pull back until you are ready to research some more.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo reviews. Recommended for.......

I see you've begun to focus your dreams a little more! ;-) The Kohala Coast is the area I mentioned in your earlier thread as my wife's 2nd choice location in the islands. The issue here might be that it doesn't quite fit your vision of lush, green, tropical foliage. But it does have a beauty all its own. Here's a photo of one of the popular beaches I took from the air recently. The resort areas would be similar, except that they're larger have much more green spaces. The link Susan provided is a good resource for aerial views of Kohala Coast resorts too.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Condo reviews. Recommended for.......

Ooops! Forgot to link the photo: http://www.pbase.com/smg9774/image/152703623

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
510 posts
1,663 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Condo reviews. Recommended for.......

Pretty picture and hi again thrumylems! Current thinking is Maui and the Big island. Had to swap the flights from Oahu to Maui for several reasons. So planning vacation around that. Was thinking a week in Maui and then a week in the big island but finding choosing a location a little more challenging than I thought it would be!

After doing more research yesterday (even though I said I wouldn't) I do like the sound and look of Kohala, so reading more about that location at the moment!

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona