We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kona with a toddler - stroller or carrying backpack?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Kona with a toddler - stroller or carrying backpack?

We will be in Kona for Christmas with our 18 month old. We are debating whether to take a stroller or our nice carrying backpack. We have never been to Kona, so I don't know the terrain or types of things to do with a toddler. If we do a bunch of off-road hiking or something, the backpack makes sense....but is a stroller more practical for shopping in town and other activities? Anyone travelled there with a toddler and can provide any advice?

california
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kona with a toddler - stroller or carrying backpack?

We went to kona when my son was 22 months and we took our umbrella stroller and our ergo carrier. The stroller was great for walking around town and naps and the airport. We used the ergo a few times when we went walking through the thurston lava tubes and the mini hike that followed, as well as on our hike of pololu valley (kona side). We aren't huge hikers, so the ergo was plenty for us.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,283 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kona with a toddler - stroller or carrying backpack?

I backpacked my kids everywhere - from infants to larger toddlers just because it was easier for me and they enjoyed the sights. I wouldn't take little kids up to the Volcano though - air is not healthy for them.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,210 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kona with a toddler - stroller or carrying backpack?

Well, I raised kids here and never used a stroller. They're really inconvenient for beaches and short hikes and other walks.

Regarding terrain, it really depends on where you're staying and what you plan to do. "Kona" encompasses two huge districts. If you mean you're staying in Kailua Kona, a stroller might be better for walking around town but if you're going to do any shopping, the shops are mostly not stroller friendly. That's also true of the smaller shops in upcountry towns and villages like Holualoa, Waimea, Honokaa. Most beach areas are found an hour north in South Kohala and most aren't stroller friendly. If you're planning any hiking like into Pololu Valley or shoreline hikes you'll want the backpack.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kona with a toddler - stroller or carrying backpack?

Thank you!

5. Re: Kona with a toddler - stroller or carrying backpack?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 02, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona